Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams coach Sean McVay reveals he almost took job at Syracuse under Doug Marrone

May 22, 2019 09:26PM
[www.syracuse.com]
Updated May 22, 4:12 PM; Posted May 22, 4:09 PM

AP
Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay arrives for an NFL football game against the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday, Dec. 16, 2018, in Los Angeles.
(AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

Comment
By Nate Mink | nmink@syracuse.com

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Syracuse football has been a breeding ground for many successful coaches for decades.

Tom Coughlin, George O’Leary, Ed Orgeron, Jim Tressel, Nick Saban and Bud Wilkinson are just a sampling of notable assistant coaches that have climbed the coaching ladder in Central New York.

One of today’s best coaches in the NFL revealed Wednesday he nearly made a stop in Syracuse, too.

Sean McVay, who led the Los Angeles Rams to the Super Bowl last season, said he applied to serve as a quality control coach at Syracuse under Doug Marrone. The potential job opportunity in Syracuse was raised at the end of an interview on Barstool Sports’ Pardon My Take podcast (the podcast contains explicit language).

“I said, ‘You know, you actually refused my resume,’ ” McVay said, recounting a recent get-together with Marrone and other coaches. “But in all actuality, I was very close to going and working with him if the United Football League opportunity didn’t present itself.”

After graduating from Miami (Ohio) in 2008, McVay started his career as an assistant wide receivers coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He was a quality control/wide receivers coach for the Florida Tuskers in 2009, the year Marrone took over for Greg Robinson.

McVay, 33, is considered one of the brightest offensive minds in football. His success fueled a hiring spree in the NFL with some teams (Cincinnati, Green Bay, Arizona) turning to young, offensive minds to lead their organization in an attempt to replicate the Rams’ success.

Marrone turns 55 this summer and enters his third full season as the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams Junkie326May 22, 2019 09:26PM