Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McVay played cruel prank on Kliff Kinsbury about losing the #1 pick...

April 01, 2019 07:32AM
Sean McVay played cruel prank on Kliff Kingsbury about losing No. 1 pick

Cameron DaSilva

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Sean McVay and Kliff Kingsbury might be friends – the Cardinals’ official press release after hiring the coach said as much – but they’re also rivals now. They’re each eyeing an NFC West title in 2019 as the two young coaches are set to battle it out in the NFL for the first time.

McVay tried to hire Kingsbury to join the Rams’ staff back in December, but after seeing Kliff join the Cardinals, the rivalry has begun. McVay welcomed Kingsbury to the NFL recently when the two had dinner together, along with Patrick Mahomes, playing a prank on the Cardinals’ new coach.

He tricked Kingsbury into thinking he was going to lose draft picks, specifically the No. 1 overall pick, because of the tampering rules. McVay shared the hilarious story on the Adam Schefter Podcast, which was released on Monday.

“We have a mutual friend that I put his name in my phone as Roger Goodell,” McVay explained. “I had this friend send me a text saying, ‘I can’t believe you’re at dinner with Kingsbury and Mahomes. You know better than this. This is tampering. You’re both losing picks.’

“I showed Kliff the text and he saw a ghost. I said, ‘You better call (Cardinals GM) Steve Keim right away.’ He said, ‘I thought I was going to lose the No. 1 pick.’

What a savage prank played by the youngest head coach in the league. McVay may be the youngest at just 33 years old, but he’s no rookie like Kingsbury is. And he used Kingsbury’s inexperience to his full advantage with this devious trick.

McVay could’ve carried it out even longer, but he didn’t want to make his buddy sweat too much.

“We couldn’t let it go too long, but it was pretty good. We got him good,” McVay said. “I was talking to him about that yesterday when I saw him. I’m pretty proud of that one.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

McVay played cruel prank on Kliff Kinsbury about losing the #1 pick...

Rams43593April 01, 2019 07:32AM

Re: McVay played cruel prank on Kliff Kinsbury about losing the #1 pick...

oldschoolramfan245April 01, 2019 07:42AM

David Deacon229April 01, 2019 09:34AM

SB34RAMS1264April 01, 2019 01:06PM

azramfan237April 01, 2019 05:14PM

Great insight into McVay......

Arkansas Ram222April 02, 2019 05:33AM