Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What I'm happiest about

January 21, 2019 08:19AM
The better team won that NFC Championship game.

This isn't a backhanded swipe at The-Call-That-Wasn't. And btw, I'm in the camp that *really* feels for the Saints and their fans. I have no problem w/the depth of their disappointment or "whining." (I'm STILL bitter about Super Bowl 36 and what the Pats got away w/against the Rams' skill players.)

I'm saying that, in terms of how I *felt* watching those those teams over the last three quarters and OT, it *felt* to me that the better/hardier team won, especially "controlling" for the most inhospitable road conditions I've ever seen in an NFL game- and that was MY team.

Consider this:

- The Rams' defense limited the Saints to 10 pts in the last 3 quarters + OT.
- Rams' D held the Saints to 100 fewer yds of offense (290 yds) than their season avg. - even with the OT yards thrown in.
- Even after a 1st quarter that saw the Rams get ZERO 1st downs, the Rams ended w/19 1st and the O outgunned the Saints' O by 90 yds.
- Saints gained 48 yds rushing in 21 attempts - 2.3 ypc
- Goff made BIG TIME plays; Brees didn't. The controversy about The-Call-That-Wasn't so far has swallowed up a crucial truth: Drew Brees left some really important plays on the field: the 3rd-and-17 pass he missed badly that should have been picked. The pass leading to The-Call-That-Wasn't, which could EASILY have been picked if NRC looks back. Even the long pass he completed before The-Call-That-Wasn't: TERRIBLE play by Joyner. The best that could be said for Brees there is that he "trusted" his receiver. IMO, our up-and-coming QB significantly outplayed their future HOFer when it mattered.

But those just document what I saw and felt: that once the Rams settled in, at least on that day, they were simply the stronger, more determined and resilient team. Suddenly, we have a Defense worthy of our Offense, and Special Teams units to match them both. And I watched that game and came away feeling that the Rams were better than the Saints on all three phases. Not by much, but better. It felt to me that if, somehow, they had kept playing and playing, the distance between the Rams and the Saints would have grown and grown in the Rams' favor.

The refs blew a terrible, game-changing call (and that's what it was).

But the better team winning? That's no fluke, y'all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2019 08:26AM by Suh-weet!.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

What I'm happiest about

Suh-weet!321January 21, 2019 08:19AM

that 3rd and 17 play could have been killer

21Dog111January 21, 2019 09:34AM