Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Running Back C.J. Anderson– January 17, 2019

January 18, 2019 12:24AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Running Back C.J. Anderson, Defensive Tackle Aaron Donald, Running Back Todd Gurley II, Cornerback Aqib Talib and Wide Receiver Robert Woods – Media Availability – January 17, 2019

Rams Running Back C.J. Anderson – Media Availability – January 17, 2019

(On what are the dos and donts that he can give to his teammates about what to look out for in Sunday's game)

"This is my first one on the road. It's road football – you've got to stay ahead of the sticks. Still playoff football, too. Got to win on third down, win in the red zone. Some things that I've told my team, 'Just don't let the emotions get you riled up.' It's going to be a lot of things going on, on the outside in the beginning of the game, building up to the game. So, just stay focused and do your job."

(On why he thinks he has meshed so well with RB Todd Gurley II)

"I think we respect each other's games. We respect each other as players – what I've done in this league and what he's done in this league and what he has accomplished and what have I. I ask questions, he ask questions, I think that will help us. I think also just knowing him a little bit in our times of playing in the league and playing running back, knowing him a little bit, having a relationship helps. But, I think seeing how he works and seeing how I work, I think it puts us together. It's been going well so far."

(On how much of having a knack for running and see the holes is instinctual rather than film study alone)

"I hope it's instinctive (laughs). I hope it is. I put a lot of time in with the tape. I try to like, take the game and life and put it in one, if that makes sense. There's certain things that just makes common sense like with body motion and how people are moving and how people can tackle you and what they're supposed to do. I try to go through that as fast and as quickly as I can when I'm running the ball or when I see a front on certain blitzes and different things or coverages when I'm trying to help (Qcool smiley 'J.G.' (Jared Goff) when I'm in there. I think some of it's instinct, but a lot of it is just what I – I think a lot of it's instinct. Tape helps, but I think a lot of it is some just common sense on the human body, to be honest."

(On if the performance they had against Dallas opened some eyes that running backs are a worthy investment to put money into)

"I think so. You've got one of the best backs in the game in Todd and what'd he do? I mean, 21 touchdowns this year is just unbelievable. There’s not too many people who have accomplished that or done that in this league at all. O-line played really amazing. It works both ways, as we saw (Cowboys Rcool smiley 'Zeke' (Ezekiel Elliott). If 'Zeke' had a little help last weekend we could see 'Zeke's' game flourish. It's what that next step and that next level with the running back position does, which is protection and catching the ball out of the backfield which me and Todd do very well. What makes Todd so great is the home run ability and taking the next step. Instead of making it an 18, 19-yard gain, 35-yard touchdown, things like that. So, I think it's a great investment depending on who the back is."

(On why he thinks he's such a good fit for this Rams team)

"I think one is the system. I've been in the system and I've been successful in this system. Two, it's nothing with the players, players in all locker rooms were great. The hunger and trying to win football games and trying to put good tape together, I think all that was great. I just think circumstances and timing – Denver was cap space, Carolina put their faith in (Panthers Rcool smiley Christian McCaffrey who had a hell of a year, arguably might be the Offensive Player of the Year this year. Then, Oakland getting two O-linemen hurt and they've got to protect their franchise quarterback for their future. So, it's just the circumstance and the timing and it was just my turn that year. I think that was the difference. Obviously, with all those three teams, all GMs, all head coaches said the same thing, didn't want to let me go. But, that's kind of how it worked."

(On how much the fresh legs have helped him and if they're still fresh)

"I'm the freshest running back in the league (laughs). I'm not going to say they're still fresh, but I'm fresher than (Saints Rcool smiley Mark (Ingram II) and (Saints Rcool smiley Alvin (Kamara) and Todd, for sure. I think it helps a lot. I've played over 1,000 snaps or 600, 700 snaps in this league and when you get to this point in the season, you start to lay back. I'm out there flying around on practice, just being a kid having fun. Part of it, I look faster than everybody else – part of it because I'm fresh."

(On where he thinks the offense is going to find success against the Saints defense)

"Like I said, I think we've got to try to find a way to run the ball. Whether we did what we did last week, we just want to be efficient on first down, stay ahead of the sticks. Hostile environment. We've got to put (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) in good positions to make great play calls. That's not second-and-15 or that's not negative plays on first down where the crowd can get really into it. Don't try to put ourselves in too much third-and-long. That's a tough thing for us, too, just because their environment – the hostile environment we're walking into in New Orleans. So, I think that's the biggest part that's going to be successful and that's going to give us a chance."

(On if he has felt the impact of the city of Los Angeles on himself as well)

"Nah, not really. I stay to myself, man. The Rams got me in a hotel, just staying at a hotel. I'm out here to play football. That's really it. No disrespect to the city. I mean I'm from the Bay Area, no disrespect to Los Angeles, but I came here, they signed me. Just trying to win a championship. So, I'm just focused on my job and what I've got to get done."

(On what he has found with this team in terms of the way McVay and others on the team explain defenses)

"I think biggest thing is – kind of reminds me when I was in Denver in '15 was – just the room, minus the coaches. Our coaches do a hell of a job, but (C) John Sullivan and (T) Andrew Whitworth and Todd and myself, I think we've all got a good knack of the game and a good feel of the game. We all communicate and talk to each, whether that's in-game adjustments on the sideline or when we're putting the hours of tape in. So, I think that's one of the things that separates this team compared to other teams that I've been on this past season, like you were saying. I think that's one big separation is the accountability and the ownership that the teammates take."

(On if one game of film is enough for the Saints to study himself and Gurley)

"I think so. There's nothing – I'm not going to say we have nothing up our sleeve. There's obviously things that me and Todd hasn’t had a chance to show depending on how the game is going. One game, you've got good coaches. (Saints Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Dennis) Allen is a good coach. He's going to have his boys ready to go. I played Coach Allen plenty of times, especially when he was a head coach in Oakland. I think one game – and that helps too, right? Coach Allen played against me, so he knows me understanding. He got a chance to play Todd earlier this season. Got a chance to play him last year. So, I just think one game where it's win or go home and all the New Orleans Saints have to do is study the Rams, I think some of those coaches will find a way. Now let's just hope the players don't buy in all the way (laughs)."

Rams Defensive Tackle Aaron Donald – Media Availability – January 17, 2019

(On if there’s anything he can take from their first matchup with the Saints)

"For sure. Broke that down, we watched film, we’ve seen our mistakes, things we needed to fix and things we did good at. Watching that film, breaking down that film, coach is coming with a great gameplan this week, so we just got to go out there and execute it and get ready for a big game.”

(On if he felt the defensive line as a group was working as well together as they had all season)

"I feel like we’ve been playing good together all year. We communicate well. It’s a big game, big stage and he (DT Ndamukong Suh) made his plays when plays presented themselves. That’s what you expect from your guys. That’s why he’s here, to make plays like that for us and win big games and he did that.”

(On what enabled them to stop the run against Dallas)

"We were just swarming, playing gap sound. Everybody was doing their job how they’re supposed to. 11 hats at the ball and when you do that, good things come out there.”

(On if Saints QB Drew Brees presents a different type of challenge as a pass rusher)

"Anytime you play against a great quarterback like that, he’s going to do things a normal quarterback ain’t going to do. So, we know what to expect. We try to do what we got to do to try our best to make him uncomfortable and get after him and, you know, but we got to stop the run first before we think about rushing the passer. They got two great backs we got to slow down and try to find ways to stop. After we do that, we’ll get after the quarterback and try and put some pressure on him.

(On what he can identify that Brees does that normal quarterbacks don’t)

"A little bit of everything, you know. He’s a great quarterback. He’s been doing it in the league a long time, had a lot of success, won a Super Bowl, so got our hands full. We just got to do our job.

(On the Saints do to try to challenge them in the run game like the first matchup)

"Well, this is what you wanted. We wanted to have an opportunity to play these guys again. They got us the first time and what better stage to do it now. Like I said, we got a great gameplan. We made mistakes early when we played them and that hurt us. You know, you can’t do that when you play good teams. We know what we got to do and know what we got to expect, so on a big stage like this, so close, you got to just leave it all out there.

(On what the approach is as a pass rush against Brees)

"We got a gameplan, we’re going to stick to it and we’re going to get after him.

(On what Saints RBs Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram II do that’s different)

"They can do everything. They can bounce outside, they can run it in between the tackles, they can catch the ball out of the backfield, so when you got two backs that can do the same similar things, you know, you just try to bottle them up and find ways to slow them down and stop them if that’s in the run game or the pass game. We’re going to have our hands full with that, but like I said, we got a great gameplan, everybody is flying around, everybody is hungry so, you know, we’re feeling confident.

Rams Running Back Todd Gurley II – Media Availability – January 17, 2019

(On him personifying the 'We not me' team philosophy by embracing RB C.J. Anderson joining the team and what he would attribute that to)

"Just football, man. You can't do it all by yourself. It's (not) a one-man team. It's good to have him. I got hurt for a reason and it seems like that was one of the missing pieces we were missing. He came in, did his thing and he's still doing his thing. So, I don't know, man. It's just how I was brought up. I don't care how we win. We can win the next game, 2-0. It doesn't matter who's making plays, as long as we win, honestly, I could care less."

(On if he has a nickname for his duo with Anderson)

"I didn't know you can have a nickname after one week together. We don't have a nickname.”

(On what percentage of his health he believes he is currently at)

“I don't give percentages out."

(On how he thinks they can attack the Saints defense)

"Just doing what we've been doing all season. At the end of the day, you've got to line up and beat your man more than he beats you. They've got great players – (Saints LB A.J.) Klein, (Saints Ccool smiley P.J. (Williams), (Saints CB Marshon Lattimore) 'Shon', (Saints DE) Cam Jordan. But, at the end of the day, we have a gameplan and it's just going to come down to who's the most physical and who (doesn't) turn the ball over and who can put the most points on the board. It's just going to be one of those games."

(On how his communication works with Anderson in terms of when they're going to rotate on the field)

"Yeah, I don't make those decisions, man. That's all on (Head) Coach (Sean McVay). If coach wants him in there, he wants him in there. If he wants (me) in there, he wants me in there. But, we also have that communication before the game to let you know the gameplan. But, it's cool. Like I said, we had the gameplan in last week and obviously, I knew we were both going to be in there. It doesn't matter to me if I'm in there. Whoever's in there balling, they're in there balling. But obviously, everybody wants to be in the game, but like I said, it's a great gameplan for us. At the end of the day, stats do not count in the postseason, so it doesn't matter how many yards or how many touchdowns you get."

(On how it felt to be back on the field and if he has any personally history with Louisiana)

"It feels great to be back, man, and to be able to just go in there and get the win. For us, the O-line to do what they did and for me and C.J. to come back and have a good game like I did, it's always good to have that. It feels good to be back. No, really, personal history with New Orleans besides me losing twice in the (Superdome). Just got to keep going and try to come back and get this win that we didn't get earlier in the season."

(On if he has thought about how if they do get this win then they'll be on to the Super Bowl)

"Oh yeah. It's right there, but just got to worry about this game. For real, honestly. Just worry about this game and just take it day-by-day these next couple of days."

(On if he has an inclination if they will run or pass more on offense on Sunday)

"No, you never know. You never know. We don't know their gameplan. They could come in with a totally different gameplan. Obviously, we know each week it's to stop the run, but at the end of the day – it goes back to what I said. Just you lining up and those guys opening those holes for us and us running hard, breaking tackles, whatever we've got to do to make the team better or put the team in certain situations. But, I've said it before, we got out there and want to focus on the run and (WR Robert) Woods and (WR Brandin) Cooks are open and (WR) Josh (Reynolds), whoever, (TE Tyler) Higbee, (TE) Gerald (Everett). We can pass. Pass all day or we can run the ball all day – like I said – or we can not do anything and get a safety and be up 2-0. But, as long as we get this win, that's really all I care about."

Rams Cornerback Aqib Talib – Media Availability – January 17, 2019

(On not being available to play in the Week 9 match-up against the Saints and what he thinks that he brings to the table that wasn't there that first time around)

"I think all of us, just preparing for the game different. This is a huge game, so everybody having real sharp meetings and we all going to bring something a little different to the table."

(On his time playing in dome atmospheres when he was with the Broncos, what it takes to deal with those kinds of atmospheres and if he's been able to talk to his teammates about what to expect)

"We've been there before. It's going to be a hostile environment, we know. Most teams playing well, so we just got to go in there, play our best football."

(On if he enjoys playing in the loud, energetic atmospheres and if being in those types of environments bring an extra oomph to the player’s energy)

"I don't think anybody needs no extra oomph for the NFC Chip (Championship), but as a defense, man, we like playing in it. It's going to be quiet we can talk, we can communicate good, so as a defense, we enjoy it."

(On being with Head Coach Sean McVay early in his career with Tampa Bay, being with Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips in Denver and now bringing everyone together and what he feels like he's learned in the past and where he is now)

"I feel like we're playing good football right now, man. We all got good experience, we learned a lot. I don't have time to go through everything I learned since Tampa so, you know, we all learned a lot. We'll be ready to go on Sunday."

(On if he notices players gravitating towards him, especially in these playoff moments)

"I really don't, man. I just be myself, you know. I just be myself, communicate with guys, ask questions in the meeting room and, I don't know. Ya'll do the outside looking in, so I mean, maybe if I was on the outside looking in, I'd see it but I just be myself."

(On RB C.J. Anderson joining the Rams and if he told the team he may have this type of impact from what he had seen before)

"Yeah, yeah I did. I definitely told them."

(On what he can remember about playing with Anderson in Denver)

"I just know he's an ultimate competitor and he's going to run the football hard. The bigger the game, the more he's going to get you, you know what I’m saying? That's what I know about him, and that's what he's doing for us."

(On what makes Saints WR Michael Thomas tough as a wide receiver)

"He's got a Hall of Fame quarterback. Anytime you’re a receiver and you got a Hall of Fame quarterback, that's going to take you to the next level, man. Then he's big, he's fast, he's got great hands, great body control."

(On Anderson getting a good number of handoffs during the Divisional Round and how RB Todd Gurley II handled it well and what that says about Gurley and what the team has built)

"We predicate it on, 'We not me,' you know so, it's we not me, man. (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) understand – he likes it, he actually likes it. He's happy with it, he's fresh."

(On having played with Hall of Fame caliber quarterbacks and what's the difference when facing a quarterback of that caliber as a cornerback)

"They’re veterans in the game. Most of them, you talk about Hall of Fame, you’re talking about veterans in the game, so they know you’re doing a lot of stuff before you do it, you know? They going to have counters off what you're doing, so they're going to be ready to adjust and you got to be ready to adjust as well."

(On after watching film of the Week 9 game, what role do the Saints tight ends and RB Alvin Kamara have)

"We looked at it. We definitely watched the tape a bunch of times. Watched really, for the most part, their season and we're aware that the tight ends - anybody can get active in this offense. It's (Saints Qcool smiley Drew Brees, man, so he finds everybody, so got to have everybody covered, simple as that."

(On championship teams having high IQ players and what he sees from the players on this team)

"I think we got a very intelligent team from offense to defense. We switch stuff up, play things different week-to-week and as long as we communicate in the game we always know it, as long as we communicate in the game and get on the same page, it always turns out well for us."

(On being down this road before and what he's told his teammates about the d's and don'ts and what to and not to look for as you get to this stage of the contest)

"The less mistakes is going to win the game. So, we just got to be sharp throughout the week. Get all the mistakes out the way throughout the week so our communication can be impeccable on Sunday."

Rams Wide Receiver Robert Woods – Media Availability – January 17, 2019

(On his level of anxiousness going into the NFC Championship and how he's going to have to try and control his emotions)

"Just very excited. Sat at home, watched the game on Sunday to find out who we're going to play. Great matchup. Was watching the (New Orleans) Saints play – love their energy. Look forward to that matchup, just seeing a great opponent for us to matchup against. Been a lot of studying, studying their film. Just can't wait for Sunday for a championship type game."

(On what he's learned about playoff football over the last couple years)

"Just from last year playing Atlanta (Falcons), I know a lot of media people were just talking about experience and how that had a factor in the game. Me and the young guys were just saying this is still a football game. But, just learning from that experience – our win last week is about situational football, just executing and protecting the ball. Every situation is key – third downs, fourth downs, red zones – you've got to capitalize on every opportunity in these playoffs."

(On how different the offense has been in the receiving corps, specifically since WR Cooper Kupp got injured and how it'll be different on Sunday compared to the last time when they faced the Saints)

"Finding those matchups. We missed out on those opportunities, study those chances and find out how to beat our opponent. We were in a critical situation last time we played them. Some tough opportunities for our receivers to change and impact the game. But this time, this game, everybody's fully confident in our ability, just being able to bounce back and come back how we did last time was very key. But, just this game, will be very big for our receivers to make plays throughout the game. Without (WR) Cooper (Kupp) – just making plays. We've got (WR) Josh (Reynolds) stepping in. We're using a lot more 12-personnel with (TE) Gerald Everett. But, just getting our guys the ball, making (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) feel comfortable spreading the ball around, having every guy touch the ball, whether it's in the run, in the pass – keep their defense on edge."

(On what challenges the Saints defense presents)

"Fast. A fast unit. They play well. They get after the quarterback. Their defensive backs play pretty well attacking the receivers. A good group who communicates well. But, I think we're the same type of offense – we're a good group. We play well. We play fast. We communicate well. I think they do some good things well, but I think we're going to put some stress on them. It's going to be a good game, a good matchup."

(On what he thinks has to happen on offense in order to stress the Saints out of the gate)

"Be ourselves. Completely do everything we've been doing and really, just mimic the second half of that game. Be able to bounce back. We were down 21 (points) trailing and I think from that point, I think that's the kind of football we have to play. Attack them, be ourselves, run the ball well, spread the ball on the edge and of course, finish our drives with touchdowns."

(On what he saw from Goff with the way he bounced back from the two losses they had and what he's seen from Goff to make him think that Goff will step up in the moment)

"Just staying poised. Just in the losses we had, he was able to stand tall always – being able to deliver the ball. Whether the rush was getting there or just plays were breaking down, he always was our leader, always stood tall. In critical situations, up, down, trailing 21, he was our leader. He was our guy to get us back in the game. So, coming in, just being in those trials and tribulations with him, being in those roller coasters up and down, Jared's our guy. No question marks here on top of our head. Really, just going into that game, full confidence in Jared, full confidence in this offense, in this team. Really, no question marks should be held on this team on Sunday."

(On what the feeling is in the locker room about facing the Saints again, especially with what's on the line)

"They gave us our first loss. But, really, feel like all of that, that was last season. I feel like this playoff season is a whole new season for us. Not really redemption. They're in our way. They're in our road to success to the Super Bowl. We have to go through the Saints. We have to beat them. They're the No. 1 seed. They're at home. They've got the fan base. They've got it all. But we're bringing our offense, bringing our defense, bringing our guys into their place and should leave victorious."

(On how he deals with the noise in the Superdome as a receiver and if he hears it or if it's blocked out)

"Yeah, completely blocked out, in my own world. You literally, you're not hearing the fans or the crowd until after the play. Possibly, since we're playing away, hopefully it's silent when we're making these plays. Just keep their fans quiet. Keep making plays. Keep scoring touchdowns. Make that stadium ours. But, we know it's going to be a great atmosphere – it's a championship game at their place. They're going to be telling their fans, 'Be loud and show up'. But, as expected, the game is in between the lines, not outside. The crowd shouldn't have an impact and it won't have an impact."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Running Back C.J. Anderson– January 17, 2019

Shaky190January 18, 2019 12:24AM