Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McVay shares early thoughts on rematch with Saints...

January 14, 2019 10:14AM
Sean McVay shares early thoughts on rematch with Saints

Cameron DaSilva

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

They say to be the best you have to beat the best. The Los Angeles Rams hope to do exactly that on Sunday in their rematch with the top-seeded New Orleans Saints.

Those who were hoping to see the Rams get their chance at revenge on the Saints after that Week 9 loss are getting their wish with the two teams meeting in the NFC championship on Sunday. A trip to the Super Bowl is on the line in what’s certainly the Rams’ biggest game in more than 15 years.

Sean McVay knows how good this Saints team is and understands it’s not going to be easy to go down to the Super Bowl and come away with a win. It’s going to take a near-perfect game to make it happen.

McVay shared his initial thoughts on the matchup Sunday during a conference call with media members.

“I think it’s going to be a great challenge. Obviously, the Saints are a great football team. I think they’re playing really well on all three phases right now. You know how explosive their offense is and then I think their defense is really hitting their stride,” McVay said. “Dennis Allen has done an outstanding job with these guys. They play fast, they all play together, they’re really sound. They mix in pressures. It’s going to be a great challenge, especially just having to deal with that atmosphere and that environment with those fans going crazy. But, we’re certainly excited about another opportunity to go back there and see if we can come away with a win.”

It’s been more than two months since their first meeting back on Nov. 4 and there have been some changes on both sides. The Rams were run-heavy in their win over the Cowboys, attempting 48 rushes for 273 yards and three touchdowns.

The Saints look fairly similar to the way they did back in Week 9, but the loss of Sheldon Rankins and Eli Apple’s increased experience in New Orleans’ defense could make a difference. As for the film study, it’s not as though the game was yesterday. The Rams have watched and faced eight teams since then, so New Orleans isn’t fresh in their minds.

“There’s been enough time where there’s going to be a lot of film that we’re studying from in between there, but any time that you go against an opponent, you can definitely be able to utilize some different things from that game to try to help yourself move forward,” McVay added. “I thought it was a great example of they did a great job jumping out to a lead. We were able to come back. I think we showed some good mental toughness to be able to get it back to 35-35. At the end of the day, they made enough plays and they ended up being able to get it done at the end. We didn’t make enough plays, but I think our guys learned from that game the right way. Hopefully, we’ll be able to utilize those things as we move forward this week and hopefully have some more success out there.”

The Saints are favored by 3.5 points, but considering how evenly matched these teams are, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see either come away victorious. Regardless, the score should be fairly close in the end.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

McVay shares early thoughts on rematch with Saints...

Rams43181January 14, 2019 10:14AM