Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay– November 29, 2018

November 29, 2018 02:10PM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips and Running Back Todd Gurley II – Media Availability – November 29, 2018

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – November 29, 2018

(On if there is any update on CB Aqib Talib after yesterday's practice)

"Yeah, he did a good job. He did a nice job. I think he got more and more comfortable as the practice progressed, which was a positive thing. Typically, you wonder do you actually feel like it starts to bother you as it progresses and it was the exact opposite. He's a guy that, he's played a lot of football. He's got such a good feel. But, his presence out there is such a big boost to our football team. As far as what that means for his role this weekend, we're figuring that out as the week progresses. But, it was definitely a very good step in the right direction with the way yesterday went."

(On if he's leaning towards Talib playing on Sunday)

"Yeah, I think the anticipation is we'd like that to be able to happen. What does that mean in terms of snap count? What exactly that role is? Really, it is something that we're going to continue to evaluate based on the way that his ankle responds. If things go the way that we anticipate, we hope and what we expect, then I think you can expect to see him playing. How much will be determined as the week progresses."

(On if there are any updates on RB Todd Gurley II)

"Yeah, really, great practice yesterday. I think he came out with a great energy. Did an excellent job locking in on some of the little details specific to this gameplan and some of the things that we're trying to get done on Sunday. That's what he does all the time though. That's why he's a great player. He would never say that anything was bothering him. He's so physically tough and mentally tough, but he's feeling good and we're expecting him to be his normal self."

(On if he thinks a running back can win the MVP and if he thinks a running back should have the opportunity)

"I'm not a voter for that. I know that he's certainly a very important player to us. I think it's just predicated on how you deem what is the most valuable based on the team. We've got a lot of players that are extremely important to us. We're certainly glad that (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) is our running back. As far as who should be available for MVP and not, that's not for me to say. I know that he's a very good football player that's instrumental in a lot of things that we do. Couldn't be happier to work with a player like him."

(On if a quarterback is more valuable than a running back to a coach)

"You don't ever want to say one player is more valuable than the other. But I think based on the nature of the position, the quarterback typically has a lot more influence on the outcomes of the game, just based on the amount of snaps that the ball is in their hand and how you operate in a lot of the situational things where, inevitably at some point, even if you want to run it as much as possible, you're going to have to drop back and throw it. Does that mean that a running back can't be involved in the progression and things like that? No, but I think just based on the amount of opportunities to influence and affect the outcome of the game, the quarterback does have more of an influence on that based on the nature of the position."

(On having a good game coming out of the bye week last year and if there is anything he's trying to emulate from that for this game)

"I feel like the guys did a pretty good job with the game before the bye and after the bye last year. I think it's just about consistently playing good football. I think the bye did come at a good time for us – where any time that you're going 11 weeks straight, just based on the nature of the physicality of the game, our guys were ready for a little bit of rest and recovery. I think our guys have done an excellent job taking care of themselves, getting themselves ready to go. Then, in a lot of instances, especially at this time of the year, you really maximize the physical reps, but a lot of it is that above the neck approach because of where you're at and how important it is to get these guys as fresh as possible for when kickoff comes on those Sundays or whenever it is that you're kicking off. So, I expect us to play and continue to improve like we say and I know it gets monotonous, but one of the things you see in the short time that I've been fortunate enough to be in this league, when you just look around and you have an appreciation for the good teams that are doing it the right way and giving themselves a chance to play later on past the regular season, they progressively get better. That's what we hope to do. That's what our guys are doing every single day to give themselves a chance to improve and we want to see it show up on Sundays."

(On having a transition on the coaching staff offensively going into the season and how that's gone and on Senior Offensive Assistant Jedd Fisch's role)

“Losing two great coaches like (Titans Offensive Coordinator) Matt LaFleur and (Raiders Offensive Coordinator) Greg Olson, that's tough. Fortunately for us we had some great coaches in-house that were able to seamlessly step into leadership roles and do an excellent job commanding their rooms, commanding our offense. When you talk about (Run Game Coordinator) Aaron Kromer and (Pass Game Coordinator) Shane Waldron, I feel so fortunate the things that I learned from working with them. The influence they have on our staff, they're great coaches and (Quarterbacks Coach) Zac Taylor has done a phenomenal job. With (Senior Offensive Assistant) Jedd (Fisch) he's a great coach. A guy that's had a lot of experience, a guy that I've known for a while just based on some mutual connections. You talk about a guy that's had a lot of success as a coordinator, as a play-caller, as a leader. But then just understanding the intricacies of offensive football, extremely detailed, great communicator and he's done a phenomenal job. I think the biggest thing with our staff as a whole is everybody does their role extremely well. They know exactly how they want to own that, but then we're all collectively learning from each other, positively pushing each other, like you want your players to do and I think that's what creates a healthy environment."

(On if they will keep WR Pharoh Cooper returning kicks and WR JoJo Natson returning punts)

“Yes, that's what we anticipate. We'll keep it the same."

(On OLB Dante Fowler's increased role in the Chiefs game and if OLB Matt Longacre will play more this week)

“Yeah, I think so. (OLcool smiley Dante (Fowler Jr.) is going to play a bigger and bigger role as we move forward. Really, the reason that (OLcool smiley Matt (Longacre) wasn't active for that game was specific to some of the things that we were going to do defensively to defend Kansas City. It's going to be a little bit different approach. Based on how this gameplan continues to evolve is something that we'll discuss as a staff as the week progresses. But, that was specific. It wasn't anything Matt did or didn't do. He's been a very good player for us, but he didn't do anything that was like, "All right, he's not playing at a certain level.' It was just specific to the gameplan."

(On having to play an early game on the eastern timezone and if there's any adjustments they've made to try to get players prepared)

“That's one of the things that we learned from last year, which was really the first time just from being when I've coached on teams in Washington and Tampa, never really had those issues come up except for maybe every couple years. Last year, we had to take six trips on Fridays and I can't remember how many of those games were actually early kickoffs. But I think are guys do an excellent job, really where I'm leaning on (Senior Director of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and (Director of Strength Training and Performance) Ted (Rath) as far as how can we get their biological clocks up to speed in terms of being able to adjust and adapt to being able to kickoff earlier than what you're really ready for being on the West Coast. We'll travel two days out in advance and we’ve kind of got a rhythm that we're comfortable with last year and that's something that we'll continue to do this year."

(On if Lions Head Coach Matt Patricia ever reached out to him for advice about how to handle certain situations as a head coach during the offseason)

“You know what, I’ve got a lot of respect. He's got a lot more experience than I do. He's been a great coach for a long time at an extremely successful place. He's got a great command on how he wants to do things. It's really cool because you get a chance at some of the owners’ meetings and different things to share different ideas. But I don't think there's anything that he's going to learn from me. He's seen it done the right way for a long time and putting his imprint on it. The thing that's really been unique, really just for me being a younger coach, I felt so embraced by just the way that I've been treated where you're trying to learn, and people are willing to share – specific to like the other head coaches around the league, and that's what's been a unique thing. (Lions Head Coach) Matt (Patricia) and I certainly have a friendship and things like that, but hasn't really been anything where he's asking for advice or a perspective on stuff."

Rams Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips – Media Availability – November 29, 2018

(Opening statement)

"Yes, (DT) Aaron Donald, I've said it before, he is the best (laughs). I don't know how much more you can say about him. The guy is consistent, consistently a great player and, if that's how you judge a great player. He's consistent every game. It comes from hard work and great ability, but hard work. He works at what he does. He comes in on days when he's not supposed to be here and watches film and does all the right things. I'm obviously glad we have him. He's a special guy."

(On if there is one play from DT Aaron Donald that he can single out that made him say, 'Wow')

"I don't know. There's so many. So many 'Wows.' I think that's why he's such a great player because he makes so many great plays. Obviously, you see him on the rush, but he's a really good run player also. I think he's one of the best in that area, too. It's pretty neat to have him. He makes a lot of big plays in key situations and knocks the ball loose and we score touchdowns. Not many more accolades you can give a guy than what I'd give him."

(On how he has seen OLB Samson Ebukam develop over the last two seasons)

"He had one of the greatest games ever (laughs). (OLcool smiley Samson (Ebukam), I don't think I've been around a player that's scored two touchdowns on defense in one game and really caused an interception at the end of the game because he hit the quarterback on (Ccool smiley Marcus Peters' interception. He had a sack. He just had a tremendous game. You don't see those kinds of games very often."

(On if that performance was something he had seen coming from Ebukam)

"He's a hard worker. He's athletic, he's fast. He's a young guy, but he plays hard all the time and it paid off for him. I think he plays at top speed all the time and that's why he makes plays, those kinds of plays or is able to make some of those plays because he's going hard every play. He made a big sack against Frisco (San Francisco). He was blocked, but the quarterback tried to run up and he knocked the ball – he makes those kinds of plays."

(On how he feels about CB Aqib Talib's status for Sunday's game)

"(Ccool smiley Aqib (Talib) is a wait-and-see. Now, he felt good yesterday which is a good sign. Now, he's a veteran player that I trust that would say, 'Hey, I'm hurting or I'm not. I can play or I can't play.' I think we'll just see what happens the rest of the week and see where he is. But, he'll give you an honest – some players (would say), 'I'm going to play, but I'm hurt a little bit.' He knows he needs to be 100 percent healthy to be able to play. So, that's a good thing with him.”

(On numbers suggesting the defense performed better with Talib in the first three games than in the eight games since)

"Every game is its own entity. We had one game where they didn't cross the 50 (yard line) one time and then we had another game where they scored 50 (points) and we won both those games. You just keep trying to improve, keep trying to get better. Certainly, players make a difference, but I think overall, we've just got to keep grinding on defense to play as well as we can. Play good enough to win first – which we've done – but I think overall, we just need to play a little bit better to help this team. That's our goal."

(On if DT Ndamukong Suh has lived up to his expectations to this point in the season)

"Yeah, I think we expected a lot. I didn't expect that he would be able to play different positions like he has and that's helped us in a lot of situations that he's played defensive end – both defensive ends and both tackles. He's versatile, more versatile than what we first imagined, I guess. But he's still a powerful guy that sometimes it takes two and three guys to block him. That makes a different for us."

(On how much impact Suh has had on the season that Donald is having)

"Well, we all – I think everybody thought that going in. I'm sure it's true. They certainly can't double team Aaron all the time. So, that's certainly a factor, but he's been a factor in his own right. I think he's done some good things."

(On the five turnovers and 500-plus yards allowed against Kansas City)

"Yeah, we want the five turnovers. We don't want all the yards or the points. But, that's what we're working towards. Like I said, each game is its own. The good thing about this team defensively is they've been resilient in key situations. I call them pressure situations. How many times in the last two minutes of the game have they come through and made plays where they caused a turnover? That last game, they have a great offense and they already scored 50 points and they got the ball with two minutes left and then another time with two minutes left and we get two turnovers. So, I think those kinds of things are important. Obviously, you want to play more consistent, not give up big plays and that's our goal the rest of the way."

(On if he believes that the team needs to crank it up a notch down the stretch to get to a Super Bowl or if they will go about their business how they have all season)

"We're thinking about Detroit right now. I think to play well against them, on the road, with a really great quarterback. They've had a good running game. They've got a running back averaging 5.4 (yards per carry). It's not crank it up for anything except this game, in my opinion. We'll talk about all those other things later. The playoffs is really – is different than the regular season, in my opinion."

Rams Running Back Todd Gurley II – Media Availability – November 29, 2018

(On how he would describe the nature of his ankle injury against the Chiefs)

"I never said nothing about it."

(On if the injury affected him at all against the Chiefs)

"No."

(On how he is feeling coming off of the bye week)

"Feeling good."

(On if it was good to get the bye week in Week 12 and be able to unplug from football for a little while)

"It don't really matter. Some guys want it early, some guys want it late. Yeah, I guess it came – it was a good week for us, for everyone to have a bye week for Thanksgiving. Most guys never had one, if so, they haven't had one since before college or since college."

(On why it was important for him to return home and give back to Tarboro, North Carolina during the bye week)

"Yeah, man. Tarboro-Princeville (North Carolina), that's my home. That's where I grew up. That's where all my people are at. It's always good to go back home. Home is where the love is. Get to see all your friends, see your family and just not even think about football. Just go back and just chill with all your people."

(On if he has a prediction for the SEC Championship game)

"No. They know what's up. You know who I'm going with – Georgia."

(On going into the game with a chance to clinch the division and if it feels similar to last year when they were preparing to play the Tennessee Titans to clinch the division)

"I don't know. I don't even remember the Tennessee (Titans) game last year. But yeah, it's cool. We've still got five, six weeks left and to be able to do that – secure a playoff spot - I mean, who wouldn't want to do that. So, the only team standing in our way now is Detroit (Lions)."

(On if he remembers the last time they played in Detroit a couple years ago)

"Yeah, I remember. It was a good game. It was a great game. (Former Lions WR) Golden Tate, he made a great play. (Former Rams Qcool smiley Case (Keenum) was on fire. I think he had like 28 out of 30 completions. Yeah, we just didn't get it done. But, that's just how the Lions is. They're a pretty solid team. At the end of the day, they've got a good quarterback in (Lions Qcool smiley Matthew Stafford, who loves to come back in the fourth quarter and win games for them. No matter what the score is, it's never over till it's over, especially with a guy like him."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay– November 29, 2018

RamsFootballFans.com164November 29, 2018 02:10PM