Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Defensive Discipline

September 17, 2018 11:07AM
I think my strongest sense of yesterday's game and the thing I take greatest delight in is the unit discipline showed by our defense.

No, AZ is not the best offense and we didn't get many splash plays. But what I see in that defense will translate to any game situation.

Simply put, this defense contains the plays. They contain and limit runs through holes. They challenge the ball in the air. They tackle soundly. They are in position and they minimize any gains the opposition has made.

Of course, better offenses will be more productive against us. But no matter how good an offense is, unit discipline will limit their productivity.

We've had splashy defenses before. But we've so often rushed the passer with DL talent and blitzes, only to be gashed again and again not only by downfield passes, but also by RBs hitting us in massive seams left open by rash aggression.

I just love a defense that plays with discipline and cohesiveness, often thereby getting off the field. I don't know how many times watching that game I said to myself, "that is beautiful defense." And it wasn't 1 guy. It was a whole unit containing a play, coming up, and making the tackle.

So far, the all-world DL hasn't been getting stacks of sacks. But I don't care. The unit is playing so well together, that there is simply little room to make plays against them. I passionately love a tough, sound, disciplined defense that doesn't give you a thing and then tackles you. Glorious.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Defensive Discipline

RFL297September 17, 2018 11:07AM

Re: Defensive Discipline

RinconRam117September 17, 2018 11:12AM

Re: Defensive Discipline

Rams43171September 17, 2018 11:18AM

Glorious

wv ram240September 17, 2018 11:49AM

Re: Glorious

RFL92September 17, 2018 12:15PM

Pressure not sacks wins games