Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, how does one best evaluate a draft?

August 18, 2018 06:02AM
Yeah, best wait for 3 years, I know. But what if one wants to get a “head start”, so to speak? I’m not waiting, dammit!

How about a team simply getting good value at each pick? Rather than comparing one team’s 1st to another team’s 2nd, for example? Some evaluators actually sometimes do that.

And what if a shrewd GM could make trade downs to gain extra picks and STILL get contributors and promising players for the future? Wouldn’t that be great, too?

So, how have Snead and McVay done so far?

Let’s see...

2017. [www.si.com]

1st was part of Goff trade. Good value, wouldn’t you say? Technically, McVay had no part of that. Gotta give Snead the glory there. Then again, wasn’t it McVay that turned Goff around from a “bust” into a Pro Bowler?

2nd was Everett. Kinda iffy so far. Might go either way, but hardly impressive.

3rd was Kupp. A steal for sure.

Next 3rd was Johnson. Another steal that Wade’s still smiling about.

4th was Reynolds. Another iffy pick that I loved at the time but now might go either way.

Next 4th was Ebukam. Gonna be a starter this year so he was clearly excellent value there.

Rest of ‘17 draft looks like JAGS at this point. But part of Goff trade, Kupp, JJ, and Ebu makes this a value laden draft by anyone’s estimation.

2018. [www.si.com]

Hoo boy!

1st was traded for Cooks. A HR in my book. A for sure top WR that’s a perfect fit for McVay’s O while still young and a locker room plus for a pick that would be statistically a 50% starter? Dang!

A ‘19 2nd was traded away for Marcus Peters. Here again, a young and proven All Pro caliber player for a future pick that was statistically 35% likely to be a mere starter. And fears about him being disruptive have been laid to rest, as well. Hot Damn!

2nd was traded away for the failed Watkins experiment. Oops! Not a resume enhancer, to be kind. Big mistake there. Sigh...

3rd was Noteboom. So far, looks like excellent value. A probable future starter. As in next year, possibly even a quality (and very inexpensive) LOT. Wouldn’t THAT be something?

First 4th was Brian Allen. I dunno. Could be a future C, but not a sure thing just yet. Still, for a 4th? Pretty good value, I think. Stay tuned.

Second 4th was Franklin-Myers. Lotta good buzz from camp. It appears that he will be a heavy contributor in the rotation. Outstanding value, no doubt.

5th was Micah Kiser. Are you kidding me? Sure showed up in that Ravens game and possibly a future starter in this league. Love the value in a 5th rounder.

First 6th was John Kelly. Everybody loves this kid. Very possibly becomes our 3rd RB, maybe even replaces Brown as #2. Excellent value in the 6th.

Second 6th was Sebastian Joseph. Too early to tell. Might make the 53, might not. Meh...

Third 6th was Trevon Young. Some camp reporters have been quite impressed. Could be a gem, but best we wait and see.

7th was Justin Lawler. Some good reports from camp and he had a decent Ravens game, so we’ll see. But looks like good value for a 7th, to be sure.

Gotta mention Okoronkwo and Scales additions here. Off the charts potential value here as UDFA’s. C’mon...

When one looks at the Big Picture for S&M, one can’t help but admire the bang for the buck via draft and trades, huh?

Edit: Okoronkwo was drafted in the 5th round. [www.turfshowtimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2018 06:46AM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

So, how does one best evaluate a draft?

Rams43132August 18, 2018 06:02AM