Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Take on the Rams Draft---no expert, but....

April 30, 2018 09:01AM
My Favorites: Love the Value, and like the player!

5. (160) Oklahoma OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo: Having watched 2 games of his, I can say, historically speaking, that he has everything it takes be a very, very good NFL player. Many guys 6’2” and under have succeeded at what he excelled in during his college days. The Steelers have had 30+ years in the 3-4 and always find guys like him every 2-5 years in the draft in the 3rd round or later….yep, for 30+ years guys like “Obo” are easy to find if you are looking. Very good pass rush DE’s in the 3rd+ rounds are not easy to find, like 3-4 edge guys. Samson reminds me a lot of Ricky Jackson and Obo has some, maybe, Joey Porter in him (Porter was 6’2” ,249 lbs). The size, playing style and intensity seem to match with those former guys. Ricky Jackson was a great, great player, and had his sacks, but isn’t near the pass rusher that Pat Swilling was. Jackson, like Samson, was smart too. The two of them in 2019 might become very good….but, I don’t know.
In my opinion, Obo is way over rated by many (not a 1st-2nd rounder). He will not start in 2018. He will be on the right side to relieve Samson for 5 snaps and do another 10-12 on the right side---if all goes well. However, in 2019 he may start;

But, Obo many times is dominated in the run game, although MANY times he succeeds because of his passion. He has a huge heart, great 1st steps, but he is easily engulfed. Looking at 1985-987, Kevin Greene looked kinda good, but then in 1988 took off in to his HOF career. I see Obo the same way—it will take time for him to figure out how to not hurt his team and how to not be dominated on 15% of his snaps. He has a small upper frame—it seems to me.
Because the Rams have so many studs on the D line, and the ultra fast Barron, Obo becomes another weapon. He will add to what we have; but, I think he was in the 5th for a reason. He is a rotational guy, who may become the next Joey Porter, or may just give us a wisp of something like Kevin Curtis did at WR for ½ a year, then again with the Eagles, and then done.

6. (192) Maine OG Jamil Demby
This guy is exactly what the Rams want at guard; tall and strong; he will be 6’5” and 330 some day soon. He has good enough feet, and enough of the rest to be a good NFL guard. How good? I don’t know, but for a 6th rounder that is a steal in my opinion. He won’t play OT in the NFL; most guards are 6’2” with shorter arms and not so good feet….so, this guy is not any of that, and Kromer loves it!

7. (231) TCU “rover” on 3rd downs Travin Howard
I love this pick. 7th rounder who has the characteristics of someone like a Barron or a D. Buchannon or the guy in Atlanta. Take a flier; intense, fast, can turn and run. Yes, he is short, but he will be better on 3rd downs than Ogletree; he will get to places that Ogletree never got.

Good CHoices--we will be happy some day
3. (89) TCU OT Joseph Noteboom: He is a guy who has enough physical traits (size, feet intelligence) to be a Left Tackle in the NFL. I doubt his passion; we will find out. Reminds me of Wayne Gandy, who I really didn’t like, but he had a long career. Gandy was the precursor to Alex Barron, albeit with focus. Gandy had no strength, a very little passion, in opinion, but everything else. I remember reading Slater saying Gandy had natural strength,and that other people said he wasn't a weight lifter...and he played like he didn't lift.

4. (111) Michigan State C Brian Allen
This guy will probably pan out as an averge center. But, he could be become like John Sullivan if he gains 12 pounds or so---literally and figuratively. He was a wrestler, and that says a lot about his hands and attitude.

5. (147) Virginia ILB Micah Kiser
Every team needs a smart, passionate leader like Kiser; 2 down backer who is dependable and will make us happy in the run game. Every draft has guys like this, the Rams got him and a I am very happy. I won’t be surprised if he starts; if not, he will certainly be in the rotation as Littleton won’t hold up.
6. (176) Tennessee RB John Kelly
A bit of Benny C in him? Short, fire hydrant with good hands; certainly not fast, but can carry the rock, and may get us some 3rd and 1’s when they think we will pass. The Rams were scouting this guy, because Malcom probably ain’t the full answer; nor is Justin Davis—though I could see that changing.

Who, from where, what---Like I know:
4. (135) Stephen F. Austin DE John Franklin-Myers
Whatever; we will see.
6. (195) Rutgers DT Sebastian Joseph
6. (205) Louisville OLB Trevon Young
7. (244) SMU OLB Justin Lawler

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2018 09:05AM by Steve.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My Take on the Rams Draft---no expert, but....

Steve325April 30, 2018 09:01AM