Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A fine Ram early draft strategy post by Wildflecken...

April 15, 2018 08:28AM
Here’s Wildflecken...

Will Tyrell Crosby and Uchenna Nwosu be Rams first two picks?

1.) When the Rams 2017 season concluded I posted to go deeper into the playoffs in 2018 the Rams had to get tougher on defense and find Wade scheme fit talent to build a defense as dominant as his 2015 defense was.

I also stated McVay would need to lean heavier on the running attack in 2018 and to do so they would need to be able to install more of the power gap design McVay had at his disposal in WA.

2.) After an impressive offseason to date, most agree linebacker is Rams largest need defensively for the Rams to complete the retooling of the defense with Wade Phillips scheme fit talent.

I believe the target is Uchenna Nwosu from USC. Most projections have him coming off the board in round 3, a few round 4.

3.) Rewind to OTA's and training camp in 2017 and you will remember the Rams moving Brown to ROT and Hav to ROG. Enter Tyrell Crosby, the Rams new ROT with Hav kicking inside to ROG in 2018 and becoming our version of Zach Martin/Brandon Scherff.

Crosby is today's prototypical ROT and a true earth mover in the running attack, even more of a road grader than Hav who is exceptional in the run game in his own right. (Hav could remain outside at ROT while Crosby begins his career inside at ROG but no matter the final alignment prior to game 1, the combination of Both Hav and Crosby will allow McVay do dedicate more carries to Malcolm Brown. Brown's size, physical nature and 4yds and a cloud of dust running style will only soften the opposing defense further while Gurley is taking a breather)

Combining these two on the right side of the line will allow Kromer and McVay to install a true power gap in the 2018 run design.

In a perfect world, the draft will fall in a manner in which Crosby is on the board for Rams in round 3 and Nwosu on the board with Rams first pick in round 4. However it may not. But I trust Snead will maneuver the draft to ensure these are the Rams first two picks, if indeed they are the targets.

If this draft scenario is unattainable, I find it interesting our old friend Richie Incognito may now want out of Buffalo, a team with a history of making deals with Les Snead. Richie may offer an even better option than Crosby for a team who wants to WIN NOW.

Richie at ROG and Hav at ROT may be even more impressive. They also have a DE named Shaq Lawson who is much more suited to a 3-4 defense and the OLB position than DE and was drafted by a 3-4 coach in Rex Ryan prior to McDermitt's arrival in Buffalo and his installation of his 4-3 defense as McDermitt was once a disciple of John Johnson. Stay tuned Rams fans, the wheeling and dealing may not yet be done? But what is certain is this, The Rams are in win now mode.

Go Rams!!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A fine Ram early draft strategy post by Wildflecken...

Rams43338April 15, 2018 08:28AM