Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cap guys, give me a hand.

April 04, 2018 02:43AM
Excuse my naivety, but I have a question.

Would a team.....or would a player.....consider a 5 or 6 year deal that essentially paid them LESS the 1st year (the present year when they are still signed), then really big the next 2 years, especially if the guaranteed money was big? In other words: would it make sense for Donald or Cooks to get a new long term deal this year in which the payoff was not immediate, but rather delayed a year; but the payoff was big and it was guaranteed?

To me: for the player the pro is that he gets his big deal now and he's now indemnified for injury, has a large bundle guaranteed no matter what happens from here forward, and can get contract stuff off his mind. But the con is that the market seems to go up every year, so why play for the same or less the first year and sign a long iron clad deal now, when if you just played under the current contract you'd have greater market value next year?

Is what I'm suggesting done? Or is that too "team friendly" without sufficient incentive for the player? Or does this really help the club as much as it seems to me it could to structure a deal if you know you have super abundant cap room in the next couple of years?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cap guys, give me a hand.

RockRam298April 04, 2018 02:43AM

It's common

zn107April 04, 2018 05:08AM