Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Touches per game: Would rather have SW than OBJ

March 28, 2018 03:59AM
I know, I know. It's all moot. Watkins is gone and it may well be OBJ will soon be a Ram. If the latter happens, I'll root for him to do great things, but I wish it hadn't come to this.

IMO, the Rams made a mistake by letting Sammy go. They made a mistake prior to that by not using him a lot more like Tavon-plus. As in, run him on end arounds, snap it to him directly, bubble screens, plus his go routes, etc. He should have led all receivers in touches every game.

And that's really what (to me) separates wideouts from other "skill position" players and lineman, especially. They don't get many touches per game. Why is that important? I think it should be a big factor in all trades, salary talks, team priorities. The guys on the team who impact the most plays should get priority, and that's not wideouts. It will never be wideouts, though you can cut the gap a bit by innovating outside the proverbial box.

Okay, so, it's pretty much the consensus that OBJ is better than Sammy. Some say he's a "generational talent." But from where I sit, the combination of relative TPG, the constant headaches he brings with him, and the likely loss of at least two first rounders, is just too much for the upgrade. The Rams are already thin on draft picks for the future and the recent past, so if this doesn't work to bring immediate benefits (SB or bust?), there are fewer arrows in the quiver to counter the misses. And, I think it diminishes the positive impact of going for just a one-year deal for Suh. He'll be off the books, but the Rams will have added a massive deal for OBJ. How will that impact AD, Gurley and Goff?

My preference would have been to hang on to draft picks, draft the best (BPA) edge rusher, ILB or O-line guy with #23, and look for a speedy wideout later -- with or without Sammy in the fold. Suh's deal gives the Rams another year to find a young stud at DT as well.

Two other preferences are really big for me: I want to be proud of the Rams from an ethical, sportsmanship POV. I don't want to have to watch questionable plays/players. And I want the Rams to build mostly from the draft. It seems like they've decided to go in a different direction.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Touches per game: Would rather have SW than OBJ

Billy_T233March 28, 2018 03:59AM