Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams' starting secondary costs less than what Jets will pay Trumaine Johnson in 2018

March 18, 2018 06:24AM
Rams' starting secondary costs less than what Jets will pay Trumaine Johnson in 2018

Link

By: Cameron DaSilva | March 17, 2018 9:54 am ET

After playing on the franchise tag the past two seasons – earning more than $30 million, mind you – Trumaine Johnson left Los Angeles to sign a massive contract with the New York Jets. The deal is worth $72.5 million over the course of five years, including $45 million in total guarantees.

That contract is exactly the reason the Rams opted not to re-sign him and instead decided to completely overhaul the cornerback position. In addition to re-signing Nickell Robey-Coleman, the Rams acquired Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib in trades with the Chiefs and Broncos. They also signed Sam Shields as a free agent, adding even more depth to the secondary.

The most eye-popping part of all these moves isn’t the wealth of talent the Rams added in a matter of weeks. It’s the affordability of these transactions. As Adam Schefter points out, Johnson will cost the Jets $26 million in his first season, which is more than Peters, Talib, Shields and Lamarcus Joyner combined.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Free-agency factoid:

Jets paying former Rams’ CB Trumaine Johnson $26 million this season.

Rams paying Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters, Sam Shields and Lamarcus Joyner on franchise tag a combined $25 million this season.
9:33 AM - Mar 17, 2018

To take this a step further, the Rams’ entire starting secondary – Peters, Talib, Joyner and John Johnson – will be cheaper than what Johnson costs the Jets alone in 2018.

Joyner: $11.3 million
Talib: $11 million
Peters: $1.7 million
Johnson: $772,823
TOTAL: $24.77 million

That’s pretty incredible. If you add in Shields, who could potentially be a starter in the event of an injury, the total rises to just $25.77 million.

Granted, Robey-Coleman is expected to be the team’s starting nickel cornerback over Shields, which brings the total to $30.02 million – still a very reasonable amount to pay five players when one will cost the Jets $26 million.

You could say things are going well for Les Snead and the Rams this offseason.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ramsdude215March 18, 2018 06:24AM