Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Apparently, this was a non-Exclusive franchise tag on Joyner...

March 06, 2018 09:32AM
Breaking: Rams place franchise tag on safety Lamarcus Joyner
Cameron DaSilva

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

The Los Angeles Rams have decided to place the non-exclusive franchise tag on safety Lamarcus Joyner, which should come as no surprise.

With it being the non-exclusive tag, Joyner can negotiate a contract with another team. If he signs an offer sheet with another team, the Rams will have the chance to match it. If they don’t, they’ll receive two first-round picks in return.

As it stands right now, Joyner will make $11.287 million in 2018, assuming he signs the tender and doesn’t agree to a long-term extension with the Rams before July 16. The Rams were forced to decide between Joyner and Sammy Watkins, but paying the latter nearly $16 million for one season seemed unwise.

With Joyner receiving the tag, Watkins will likely become a free agent on March 14 if no extension is agreed upon before then. The legal tampering period begins on March 12, meaning the other 31 teams are free to negotiate a deal with Watkins at that point.

As for Joyner, he’s coming off of his best season as a pro, and it’s not particularly close. In 12 games as a full-time safety, Joyner pulled down three interceptions, forced a fumble and made 49 tackles. Although he’s put up better numbers in prior years, Joyner finished as Pro Football Focus’ third-best safety in the NFL.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Apparently, this was a non-Exclusive franchise tag on Joyner...

Rams43532March 06, 2018 09:32AM

Re: This is the tag I thought they would put on Watkins

Speed_Kills189March 06, 2018 09:53AM

Honestly...I hope someone signs Joyner....

jemach162March 06, 2018 04:25PM

Re: Honestly...I hope someone signs Joyner....

headslapper177March 06, 2018 06:14PM

Re: Honestly...I hope someone signs Joyner....

headslapper176March 06, 2018 06:33PM

The Rams have some smart cookies running the show.

waterfield166March 06, 2018 06:35PM