Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tom Brady named NFL MVP, Todd Gurley, Calais Campbell win player of year honors from NFL writers

January 18, 2018 10:08AM
Link

Tom Brady, who led the NFL in passing yards at age 40, has been named the Pro Football Writers of America 2017 NFL MVP, the organization announced Wednesday.

The PFWA also named Rams running back Todd Gurley as the NFL Offensive Player of the Year and Jaguars defensive end Calais Campbell as the NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

It's Brady's third PFWA MVP award, as he also won in 2007 and 2010. Only Peyton Manning, with four MVP awards from the PFWA, has more. Manning is a five-time AP NFL MVP winner.

Brady becomes the oldest player to win NFL MVP honors from the PFWA. Manning had been the previous oldest winner, at age 37 in 2013.

At an age when most NFL players, certainly quarterbacks, are long retired, Brady posted one of his finest seasons, leading the NFL in passing yards (4,577) and tossing 32 touchdown passes. The Patriots will play the Jaguars on Sunday in the AFC championship game.

Lining up across from Brady will be Campbell, the anchor of the Jaguars' stingy defense this season. A 31-year-old veteran, Campbell had 14.5 sacks, tied for second in the league with DeMarcus Lawrence of the Cowboys (the Cardinals' Chandler Jones led the NFL with 17 sacks). Campbell had 67 tackles and three forced fumbles. The Jags defense ranked second in the NFL in points allowed this season at only 16.8 per game.

MORE: Chiefs RB Kareem Hunt named writers' NFL Rookie of the Year

Gurley, the workhorse of a Rams offense that led the NFL in scoring in 2017 (29.9 ppg), took his game to another level this season. The Rams' first-round pick in 2015, Gurley, 23, rushed for 1,305 yards (4.7 yards per carry) and added 64 receptions for 788 yards. He led the NFL in total touchdowns (19) and yards from scrimmage (2,093).

Gurley, quarterback Jared Goff and the Rams' rejuvenated offense led the team to an 11-5 regular season mark, the franchise's first winning season since 2003.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Tom Brady named NFL MVP, Todd Gurley, Calais Campbell win player of year honors from NFL writers

Ramsdude506January 18, 2018 10:08AM

Re: Donald not DPOY....(helps with FO with Contract, maybe)

Steve281January 18, 2018 10:34AM

Helps with FO with Contract, maybe not...

jemach149January 19, 2018 04:09AM

Re: Helps with FO with Contract, maybe not...

Steve129January 19, 2018 06:19AM