Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can Sean McVay do for Jared Goff what he did for Kirk Cousins?

September 15, 2017 04:42AM

Alden Gonzalez

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Jared Goff and Kirk Cousins met in Houston, in the days leading up to Super Bowl LI, three weeks after the Los Angeles Rams hired a 31-year-old offensive coordinator named Sean McVay to be their new coach. They chatted for only about five minutes, and Cousins, Goff said, had "nothing but good things to say" about McVay.

Cousins' admiration runs deep. Shortly after McVay got the job, and thus became the youngest head coach in modern NFL history, Cousins gifted him a signed jersey with the inscription, "I owe you my career." Cousins was a fourth-round pick who spent his first three years sitting behind Robert Griffin III, but he was finally named the Washington Redskins' starting quarterback by 2015 -- the same year McVay was given play-calling duties as the offensive coordinator.

With McVay in his ear, Cousins elevated himself among the game's best, most efficient quarterbacks, throwing for 9,083 yards and completing 68.3 percent of his passes over these past two seasons.

Question is: Can McVay do the same for Goff?

Goff and Cousins face off in Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum at 1:25 p.m. PT on Sunday, with McVay coaching his Rams against an assemblage of familiar faces. Cousins will tell you McVay had "as big a role in my development as anybody," but McVay won't take so much credit. McVay was coaching tight ends when Cousins was drafted out of Michigan State in 2012, and Cousins spent his first two years growing in the NFL without him.

Read Complete Article
[www.espn.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill295September 15, 2017 04:42AM