Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A breakdown of Goff's 8 incompletions post by bluecoconuts...

September 13, 2017 05:55AM
Here's bluecoconuts...

So I decided to break down Goff's incomplete passes during Week 1.. This isn't something I'll do each week, but since he only threw 8 incompletions, I wanted to see what happened.

Here is the drive summary:

First Drive
Goff goes 3/5
(1st Quarter) 13:31 - The "target" is Higbee but Goff was just throwing it away. Not really sure why, it looks like he may have had some options, including Higbee himself, but I think there's something he saw he didn't like because it was a throwaway.

(1st Quarter) 12:53 - Goff goes through his progressions before trying to hit Kupp for the first down. He threw the ball right to the marker, but Kupp failed to get both feet inbounds (only had one foot). Good throw, maybe a little more in bounds to help Kupp stay in bounds easier, but that's being pretty nit-picky.

Second Drive
Goff goes 2-2

Third Drive
Goff goes 0-1

(2nd Quarter) 14:16 - It's 3rd and forever after some penalties, so the Colts are playing the deep pass. Goff recognizes Brown getting beaten in front of him, and throws to Gurley, his checkdown. Defender is all over Gurley and he more or less falls down. A flag probably could have been thrown, Todd is certainly looking for one. Good pass nonetheless, had Gurley been able to freely catch it he has enough space to turn up field and get some decent YAC. Defender slowed him down enough it falls incomplete.

Fourth Drive
Goff goes 2-3

(2nd Quarter) 11:06 - Playaction pass, does a good job of drawing in the linebackers, Rob and Brown get beaten (shocker) and Goff has to roll out to the right and try to hit Woods. He throws the ball beyond the first down marker, but it's a bit wobbly so it's low, too short for Woods (although Woods could have dived for it and caught it).. Not really a great pass, but understandable given he was being chased. I liked what he was doing, found the open receiver for the first down, just needs to execute a little better. Good decision.

Fifth Drive
Goff goes 4-5 with a TD

(2nd Quarter) 6:15 - Quick hitter pass to Woods short, Woods dropped it, think he heard footsteps. Good pass otherwise though.

Sixth Drive
Goff goes 2-3

(2nd Quarter) 1:16 - Designed rollout to the right, Goff is being chased and throws to his outlet receiver, Carrier, who doesn't play the ball very well and catches it out of bounds. I'll count that as him still being new, and still being a little raw. He's the third TE for a reason.

Seventh Drive
Goff goes 2-2

Eight Drive
Goff goes 1-2

(3rd Quarter) 4:44 - Goff throws deep to Kupp and hits him right on the hands. Kupp doesn't follow the ball in and makes one of his rare drops. That'll happen less the longer Kupp is in the league.

Ninth Drive
Goff goes 2-2

Tenth Drive
Goff goes 1-2

(4th Quarter) 9:47 - Goff throws an absolutely beautiful rainbow pass to Cooper that unfortunately lands long.. Not sure if Cooper ran the correct route or let off or something, because the ball drops right next to the sideline, which would normally be an absolutely perfect ball placement, but Cooper is about 5 yards behind and more inside. Maybe Goff just thinks Cooper is faster. If Sammy Watkins is running that route, it's a catch and probably a touch down. This was Goff's last incomplete pass for the day.

Eleventh Drive
Goff goes 2-2 - This was Goff's last drive.

Goff was incredibly accurate on Sunday. Removing the throw away pass to Higbee, Goff was 21 for 28, good for 75% completion. However if you count passes that were thrown to the correct place and were counted as incomplete due to either the receiver dropping it or making a mistake (Kupp and Carrier both could have made an incomplete pass a complete pass if they were more aware of their feet) then Goff went 25 for 28 good for an 89% completion rate.

Even with the remaining three incomplete passes, one of them should have likely been a defensive penalty on the receiver, one of them Goff was being chased out of the pocket, and the last one looks like the pass was correct but the receiver wasn't there (miscommunication, or what, hard to say).

Basically this entire post says one thing. Goff was very accurate with the football on Sunday.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A breakdown of Goff's 8 incompletions post by bluecoconuts...

Rams43513September 13, 2017 05:55AM

Re: A breakdown of Goff's 8 incompletions post by bluecoconuts...

Steve216September 13, 2017 10:16AM

Re: A breakdown of Goff's 8 incompletions post by bluecoconuts...

Hollywood Ram140September 13, 2017 11:56AM