Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams learn that with Wade Phillips, there’s substance behind the hype

August 24, 2017 06:30PM
Rams learn that with defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, there’s substance behind the hype

By RICH HAMMOND

THOUSAND OAKS — Even before they met him, the Rams bought into the idea of playing for defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. His 40-year resume, Super Bowl ring and wry sense of humor didn’t hurt.

Then, after a few weeks in meeting rooms and on the field, the Rams discovered Phillips’ substance.

“It was surprising how much the defense works, really,” tackle Michael Brockers said. “I was surprised at how smart Wade is. When he calls stuff, if you execute it and you do it the right way, it’s going to work. That’s been the biggest surprise to me, is just seeing it come to fruition.”

Certainly, there’s a long way to go. The contract holdout of star lineman Aaron Donald continues, and injuries to linebackers Robert Quinn and Mark Barron and cornerbacks Kayvon Webster and Nickell Robey-Coleman have prevented the first-string defense from playing together during the preseason.

So from the outside, the Rams’ defense remains a bit of a mystery, and not one that will be solved during Saturday’s exhibition game against the Chargers. The Rams, insist, though, that things are coming along nicely.

“You see (players) in meetings kind of seeing it all come together,” linebacker Connor Barwin said. “Guys are able to see the whole system. ‘I see what we do in this situation and how this play works.’ It’s a good feeling when you see guys seeing results show up in tape. It makes them buy in more.”

Phillips’ history of being a turnaround artist is undeniable. Over the past 15 years, he has taken over defenses in Atlanta, San Diego, Houston and Denver and made immediate statistical improvements.

Any concern over Phillips and the Rams involved not his system, but existing players fitting into it.

Read Complete Article
[www.ocregister.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams learn that with Wade Phillips, there’s substance behind the hype

RamBill436August 24, 2017 06:30PM