Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ray Lewis explains why elite QB's are less valuable than dominant D players.

June 24, 2017 06:19AM
[www.foxsports.com]

Ray Lewis explains why elite quarterbacks are less valuable than dominant defensive players

Pro Football Focus released their ranking of the top 50 players in the NFL heading into the 2017 season — and two defensive studs edged Patriots quarterback Tom Brady at the top of the list.

According to Pro Football Focus, Rams star Aaron Donald is the best player in the NFL, followed by J.J. Watt. Brady, a five-time champion, was listed third.

On Tuesday's episode of "Undisputed," Ray Lewis, Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless reacted to the ranking.

Ray Lewis: The most important player on the defensive side of the ball is the closest player to the quarterback

“Look, I can be a little biased because I’ve always argued that defensive players should be rated higher. When you think about … the most important player on the offensive side of the ball is obviously he quarterback, right?

The most important player on the defensive side of the ball is the closest player to the quarterback. Right? A lot of people don’t think about that.

I’ve watched this from a personal experience. What am I talking about? I played behind one of the most dominant D-tackles in all of football, which was Warren Sapp. I played behind him at the University of Miami, and I never saw dominance like that.

When I started to see what his dominance was, I started to understand that … wow, he actually makes my job easier. When he goes, it’s a whole other conversation.”

Ray Lewis: Aaron Donald is the type of player that wins you a championship

“I got into the league. Our first Super Bowl, the most dominant piece on our defense was Sam Adams. When Sam Adams was ready to play football, I don’t care who it was, he was unblockable.

So you watch Aaron Donald, you watch J.J. Watt. Now let me just be very up front: J.J. Watt [played] three games last year, coming back … I don’t know if I put him [there], you can not put that guy up there. But now we’re in a different world, because it’s a world of popularity now, a world of social media. That’s who is ‘crowning’ people now.

But you talk about Aaron Donald, his body of work since he came into the National Football League. When you talk about pure dominance, from a linebacker standpoint, what it looks like … this is why this piece is so crucial. The reason why I’m really excited that someone sat down and watched enough film to see what that dominance looks like is because that’s where most championships are really won — in the trenches.”

Ray Lewis: J.J. Watt needs to prove he's still the same player

“J.J. Watt, healthy, he’s one of the most unblockable people ever. Why?

If you watch J.J. Watt enough, you say ‘now how in the hell … ?’ You can’t block J.J. Watt. Why? Because J.J. Watt says, ‘Take the game out of it, I’m talking about a one-on-one battle that you have to deal with me.’

Most D-linemen are going to be quicker than the offensive linemen. Some of them are stronger than offensive linemen — and that’s where I think the gems are found. When you find an Aaron Donald, who has a motor like that, or you find a J.J. Watt.”

Troy Taormina Troy Taormina-USA TODAY Sports
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ray Lewis explains why elite QB's are less valuable than dominant D players.

Rams43472June 24, 2017 06:19AM