Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A thoughtful post about our new Wade Phillips D by leoram...

June 17, 2017 01:07PM
Here's leoram...

[www.turfshowtimes.com]

[www.denverpost.com]

Here are some links that have yet to be posted here but let us know what is to come in 2017.

The common theme from McVay is to be a smart coordinator who takes the players available and give them a chance to do what they do best while figuring out how to do that in an attacking scheme that exploits the oppositions weaknesses and simplifies assignments for talented players (and even those with limited skills). This is precisely why Bellicheat has found success (even when Brady was injured).

In terms of defensive greatness, too little is known (minus the in-depth links I just posted), about how Phillips took great players and made them even greater. Many think that the Broncos were successful because they had Pro Bowl talents and therefore discount how Phillips made each of them more successful because he put them in positions to succeed (much like Phil Jackson with the Lakers' championship teams).

With that said, let's consider the Rams' current roster. Aaron Donald will still be playing predominantly a 3 technique but the scheme allows flexibility to have him move to the best mismatch against the O-Line. Brockers is the unheralded two-gap guy who is so necessary in the 3/4 with his size, power, and mindset. Easley, Westbrooks, Fox, Thomas, Smart, Trinca-Passat, and Walker all have different skill sets that can plug into whatever playcall Wade needs to thwart the offense. Has anyone else noticed the plethora of linebackers the Rams drafted/acquired? Ogletree and Barron fit what Denver had with
Marshall/Tevathan in terms of inside LB's who can cover (though I suspect the two aren't as good at stacking and shedding in the run game). Quinn and Barwin are slotted to fill the Ware and Miller roles (again, a step down, but much better than the NFL average). Hager can help v the run but could be a liability in coverage. Ekuban fits the outside rush/contain role. Littleton and Forrest have untapped potential I will trust Phillips to develop. As for the secondary, there won't be a NO FLY ZONE in LA, but as McVay has mentioned, it will be better than most expect. Johnson may not be worth his franchise tag, but he is a bigger, physical corner that can play both press and zone effectively. Webster is a familiar CB to Wade but played behind the talent he had in Denver and unless Gaines can shake his injury bug, will provide competent if unspectacular play at the other corner. Nickell is aptly named and an underrated signing who can be backed by both Gaines and Joyner in a pinch. Speaking of Joyner, he's finally going to get the notoriety he deserves at the FS/Nickel Hybrid slot that has made the Honey Badger an impact player. While our new JJ is being groomed as his backup, Alexander is going to get the opportunity to take the next level step in his development as a SS. The versatility he learned at FS last year along w his true strength as a SS will make him a solid piece in the Phillips DB puzzle. While Christian and Davis are the depth behind them, the pre-season will determine whether or not they are in Wade's crosshairs for development or replacement. As a fan, I root for both of them due to their talents, but defer to Wade for their ultimate fates.

With all this said, while there are obvious definciencies in talent v the Broncos of the past couple years, we have the makings of a top 5 defense here (barring injuries to key starters, primarily Donald who is absolutely irreplaceable). Combine this with what I will eventually analyze once we've seen the new offense in pre-season, and I'm cautiously optimistic about a playoff team in LA this coming season.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A thoughtful post about our new Wade Phillips D by leoram...

Rams43656June 17, 2017 01:07PM

making it up as he goes.

Blue and Gold187June 17, 2017 01:14PM

And this link is total BS

Blue and Gold270June 17, 2017 01:20PM