Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rookies get moving at the first day of Rams' rookie minicamp

May 12, 2017 06:31PM

By Gary Klein

Identifying and then selecting specific pieces for new coach Sean McVay’s offense was the Rams’ clear goal in the recent NFL draft.

On Friday, McVay and his staff got their initial opportunity to work with tight end Gerald Everett and receivers Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds during the first day of a two-day rookie camp.

With quarterback Jared Goff looking on, about 50 players — including eight draft picks, undrafted free agents and tryout players — went through two workouts in Thousand Oaks.

McVay said he was not looking for perfect execution of plays by rookies who learned them a few hours before.

“You just want to see these guys move around and compete,” McVay said after the first workout.

Tight end Gerald Everett, a second-round pick from South Alabama, described it as a “change of pace” from college.

“But I feel like I handled it extremely well and cut it loose today,” he said. “I caught some deep balls, and I felt like I was moving pretty well.”

Kupp, a third-round pick from Eastern Washington, showed the skills that helped him become the all-time receiving leader in the NCAA’s Football Championship Subdivision.

“There’s still a lot of thinking going on, making sure that you get your assignment right, and alignment, and all the things that come with that,” Kupp said. “But it’s a lot of fun.”

Read Complete Article
[www.latimes.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill511May 12, 2017 06:31PM