Advanced

Some defensive players lacking proper draft hype IMO

April 25, 2017 06:29AM
EDGE -
Carl Lawson, Auburn
Tarell Basham, Ohio
Trey Hendrickson, Florida Atlantic
Pita Taumoepenu, Utah

Injuries are the reason I hear that Lawson isn't considered higher but they shouldn't factor, his play on the field speaks for itself. He's a polished, powerful pass rusher...the NFL is always desperate for his skillset. Basham is a less polished version of Lawson but also lacks the injuries. Taumoepenu Is probably more of a situational pass rush guy but I hear nothing about him.

INTERIOR DEFENSIVE LINEMAN
Chris Wormley, Michigan
Jarron Jones, Notre Dame
DeAngelo Brown, Louisville
Glen Antoine, Idaho

Wormley is a Top 20 pick for me. Relentless, powerful, active, can play in multiple fronts. Jones is inconsistent but his upside is freakish...love to see the interviews and background info. Antoine gets the small school treatment by the experts. Brown simply isn't flashy.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS
Jaylen Reeves-Maybin, Tennessee
Duke Riley, LSU

Reeves-Maybin is in the "don't forget me because I was injured" class. Rangy, fast, and instinctive...keep him clean though. Riley is gaining some expert momentum but I still think it's lacking.

MIDDLE/INSIDE LINEBACKERS
Ben Gedeon, Michigan
Ukeme Eligwe, Georgia Southern

Gedeon is an inside thumper that couldn't care less about trash and havoc. I think he's being underrated as a guy who can play 3 downs. Eligwe Is another physical presence that surprises with his smoothness in coverage.

SAFETIES
Delano Hill, Michigan
Rayshawn Jenkins, Miami (FL)
Rickey Jefferson, LSU

Hill is ultra instinctive. Doesn't get credit for his range because he reads early and arrives without any "WOW, look how much ground he made up". Jenkins gets SOME credit for the ferocious hitter he is, and he deserves every bit of it and more but he also covers a nice chunk of ground when asked to. Jefferson was injured and forgotten...a good team will take advantage.

CORNERBACKS
Corn Elder, Miami (FL)
Channing Stribling, Michigan
Jeremy Cutrer, Middle Tenn State

Elder is small...don't care. Nasty and smart, makes plays on the ball even vs bigger WRs. Stribling has some stiffness but in the right system he can be physical and use his length. Cutrer has medical concerns that limited his ability to keep/put on weight. Even with that he was physical and played the run.

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"
- Oscar Wilde

I demolish my bridges behind me - then there is no choice but forward.
- Fridtjof Nansen
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Some defensive players lacking proper draft hype IMO

Flipper336525April 25, 2017 06:29AM

I cannot agree with these guys.

Deadpool182April 25, 2017 09:21AM

Keion Adams, literally couldn't remember his name

Flipper336223April 25, 2017 09:29AM

I meant to say: i cannot disagree

Deadpool185April 25, 2017 05:33PM