Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Greg Gabriel: How many players are worth first-rounders in 2017 Draft?

April 25, 2017 06:07AM

[www.stltoday.com]

Yes, every year there are 32 players who get drafted in the opening round of the NFL Draft. Does that mean that there are actually 32 players who have first-round talent? From year to year the answer to that question can change depending on the depth of each Draft. That said, let’s look at this year’s talent.

Quarterback

It is my belief that this year’s quarterback class has been underrated, and that the talent of the QB class is better than many have given it credit for. Based on my evaluation, I have four quarterbacks with first-round grades. That doesn’t mean four will go in the first round but I feel four are worthy — especially when you compare them to quarterbacks taken in the first round in past years. The four are Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Mitchell Trubisky and DeShone Kizer. How they come off the board remains to be seen.

Running Back

This year’s running back class is as strong a class as we have seen in years. After watching hours of tape, I have given three running backs first-round grades. The three are Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey and Dalvin Cook. Could more than that be drafted in the first round? Of course, but in my opinion, anyone after Cook does not hold a first-round level grade.

Wide Receiver

While the wide receiver class is very deep, I am not so sure it is deep with first-round talent. I see two players who are easily first-round talents, and two more who are borderline. Mike Williams and Corey Davis would go in the first round in any Draft. With his speed, John Ross should be a first-rounder, but when you look at his history of injuries, it makes him a maybe. JuJu Smith-Shuster is easily a first-rounder when you look at tape, but his 40 time says otherwise.

Offensive Line

In most Drafts, you can figure that at least five offensive linemen will go in the first round. This year I can see four being drafted in the opening round but only three who actually deserve to go in the first. Cam Robinson, Ryan Ramczyk and Forrest Lamp are legitimate first-round talents. The next guy on my list would be Garett Bolles, but I feel in any of the past four or five drafts he would not have seen the first. Because of age, build, technique and lower body strength, he is more of a second-round type.

Tight End

Like running back, the tight end class this year is as strong as it’s ever been. O.J. Howard and David Njoku are first-rounders every year. I also feel that Evan Engram has a chance to go in the first round but he is more of a borderline first-rounder. He has exceptional speed but lacks the bulk and power to do much as a blocker. That said, his speed and athleticism is what separates him from others at the position.

Looking at the offensive side of the ball, there are easily 14 legitimate first-round players and another four who are borderline first round players.

Edge

Another deep position — and maybe the deepest as far as first-round talent. Garrett Myles, Solomon Thomas, Derek Barnett, Taco Charlton and Tak McKinley are easily first-round players in any given year. Two more — Tim Williams and Charles Harris — are borderline first-round types. If Williams didn’t have character issues, he is a legit mid first-round type of player. If Harris’ workout had been a little better, he could also be placed in that category, but as of now I feel he is really more of a high second-round talent.

Defensive Line

The interior defensive line class is deep, but it’s not loaded with talent up top. Jonathan Allen is by far the best interior defensive linemen. After him there is a drop-off. Malik McDowell is a first-round athlete but not really a first-round player. His production does not match his talent and I feel there is some underachiever to him. While there are plenty of other quality interior defensive linemen, none are first-round types.

Linebacker

Reuben Foster is easily the most talented linebacker in this class, but off-field issues may keep him out of the first round. If it weren’t for those issues, his talent say at worst a top-15 type. Jarrad Davis, Raekwon McMillan and Haason Reddick are also players who would get drafted in the first round in any given year. They are talented, athletic, instinctive and productive.

Corner

The corner class has taken a hit because of injuries, one of which is severe. Before Sidney Jones tore his Achilles tendon, he was a top 15 type of player. Now, coming off that injury, no one knows what he will be like in the future. Marshon Lattimore, Marlon Humphrey, Gareon Conley, Quincy Wilson and Kevin King are legit first-round players. After that group there are some players who may go in the first, and so I have to label them more of a borderline type player. That group includes Adoree Jackson and Fabian Moreau. Moreau was injured at the UCLA Pro Day and that injury could lower his value.

Safety

Again, this safety class is as good as we have seen in years, with two being possible top-eight selections. The two at the top are Malik Hooker and Jamal Adams. Not far behind is Jabrill Peppers, who had a recent off-field issue, and it remains to be seen if he gets drafted at his value.

Looking at the defense, I count 18 legitimate first-round players and five borderline first- round talents. By my count, that is total of 32 players who would be a first-round player in any given year and another nine who are borderline. That number is much higher than in most drafts, which means that 2017 is truly a very good draft year as clubs could very well be drafting legitimate first-round players in the second round.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill664April 25, 2017 06:07AM

This pretty well sums up the draft guru consensus

RockRam214April 25, 2017 06:51AM

That is most drafts

Flipper336214April 25, 2017 07:08AM

Re: No one knows...

dzrams168April 25, 2017 07:19AM