Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Andrew Whitworth, 35, still motivated to keep playing

March 14, 2017 05:13AM

By Alden Gonzalez

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Nobody else on his new roster is even 30. The head coach, Sean McVay, is more than four years younger. And in 2016, no player at his position was older. Andrew Whitworth, the Los Angeles Rams' new left tackle, is an outlier for an NFL that continually gets younger. He is approaching his age-36 season, but he just received a three-year, $36 million contract that guarantees $15 million, and he remains among the very best at what he does.

"Obviously," Whitworth said, "age is an issue."

He smiled wryly, because he knows it's a focus and perhaps also because he knows it's a misconception.

"The reality is I feel like I can still go out every Sunday and help my team win," Whitworth, speaking from the Rams' facility on Friday, went on. "I still feel like I’m going to win enough percentages of blocks that you’re going to feel like that’s not a position you have to worry about."

Whitworth doesn't have to tell you that. In 2015, he was first-team All-Pro. In 2016, he was graded the NFL's second-best tackle by Pro Football Focus. Whitworth allowed one sack after Week 5 last season. Over that two-year stretch, he allowed 38 total pressures, two fewer than what Greg Robinson -- the former No. 2 overall pick who will now move to the right side -- allowed in 2016 alone. And all throughout, Whitworth has been crazy durable, starting 126 of the Bengals' 128 games over the last eight years, including all 48 since 2014.

Five years ago, he changed his work habits.

Whitworth -- measuring 6-foot-7 and weighing 330 pounds -- stopped lifting heavy weights like a prototypical offensive lineman and focused moreso on flexibility and endurance. He got into CrossFit and Orangetheory Fitness, went on hikes and did everything he could to stay outdoors and remain active.

Read Complete Article
[www.espn.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill479March 14, 2017 05:13AM

Re: his mobility is pretty impressive

merlin227March 14, 2017 02:38PM

didnt realize how big he was

ferragamo79174March 14, 2017 05:02PM

Re: didnt realize how big he was

zn167March 14, 2017 05:56PM