Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quick what the heck, I'm watching the combine mock draft for the Rams

March 03, 2017 06:05AM
Watching the combine and tons of down time between drills so....

2. EDGE - Derek Rivers, Youngstown State
- He was a monster vs his competition and his skillset translates to the NFL. Big, explosive, long, with exceptional ability to bend and flatten as an edge rusher. Wasn't asked to cover often but actually very comfortable and smooth in his drop when he did. Stuck in the TEs hip pocket easily on a few routes also. He is raw in some areas though. Sometimes struggles with his ability to fight/counter with his hands (gets into push/pull battles) but does have examples where he uses his hands well to work across blockers vs the run or a QB out of the pocket. Does a + job using his length to keep blockers off his frame and knows which shoulder to put more pressure on when needed. Also can be slow with his snap recognition but his burst often overcomes this. I could see Wade Phillips loving him for his scheme

3. CB - Howard Wilson, Houston
- RS Sophomore who lost a full year as a true sophomore with an injury. Ideally goes back for another year but has starting experience from his true freshman year and last year. Will get comparisons to last years 1st round pick from Houston, William Jackson lll, but he's a different animal. Not as physical but more fluid. Overall he's Rangy and explosive. Might have the best break on the ball in the draft by any CB not named Lattimore. ++ length. Aggressive vs the run. Can press, play off, and has high end safely like range in zone. Needs to add NFL bulk and has rough edges to smooth out but this skill set coached up by Phillips and his staff? Yes please.

Side note - "I" would move L. Joyner to FS. If the Rams don't...sub Lorenzo Jerome, St. Francis here. I talked about him a few times already.

4a. OC/OG Pat Elflein, Ohio State
- I keep seeing him mocked in this range. I don't believe it...at all! but I'll certainly take it if here. I like him better at OG where he can just fire off and brawl the guy in front of him without much thinking but saw no examples of poor line calls or inability to naturally work with his line mates. Moves well on pulls/traps. Consistently wins on first contact but not overly powerful. Doesn't lose balance and has ++ understanding of what the defense is doing (stunts/twists). Good fundamentals when he has to mirror or re-anchor. Not flashy but will be rock solid.

4b. OG/OT - Jordan Morgan, Kutztown - Good knee bend and foot spacing. Plays with a lot of strength. Heavy hands and continues to drive with his feet....sometimes off the screen or off the field. Wants to bury defenders. Arms start too low but still able to extend and control. Competition will be the huge question but in round 4 I like this type of upside gamble all day.

5. TE - Billy Brown, Shepherd - 6'4 255 lbs and moves as well as most average sized WRs. Can use his length or body to attack passes. Monster in 50/50 situations. Needs to sink his hips better on sharp breaking routes and use his hands better vs press. Wants the ball in key situations. Looked good at the Senior Bowl vs better competition. Jumbo size Jordan Reed skillset for your new coach...can he learn the subtle parts of Reeds game?

6. WR - Rodney Adams, South Florida
NO ONE talks about him so I guess he drops. Crazy value here if he checks out medically. +++RAC, will be a nightmare for defenses to deal with him and Tavon because both demand attention in "just get the ball in their hands" situations and can burn deep. Fearless, great hands and body control. Limited route runner. South Florida over gimmicked (not a word I know), could've simply dominated at WR.

7a. WR - Kenny Golladay, Northern Illinois - So you just got your project monster weapon (Brown) and an explosive weapon/WR (Adams) for your young QB...now get Mr. Consistent. Golladay is a balanced route runner. ++ Body control and hands. Will be a reliable target who knows how to create separation and make plays in key situations. Physical blocker. Lacks 2nd gear.

7b. Avery Moss, Youngstown State -
Now go get your top picks teammate. Compact and explosive. Non stop motor. Fights through blockers. Better standing up as a pass rusher. Might end up as a special teams demon/situational pass rusher but has starter upside.

USFA Targets -

RB -
Jarvion Franklin, Western Michigan (Y) Starter. Big back. Plays with power and lean. Always falling forward. + hands.

WRs -
Kendall Sanders, Arkansas St (?) - Good frame. Snatches passes. Physical RAC with no wasted movement (leave ground for no reason). Very raw route runner.

Jeremy Lane, Akron - PHYSICAL. Outstanding body control. Strong hands. RB after the catch. Might be more of a slot but can play some outside. Lacks some separation outside.

Jake Wieneke, South Dakota State (Y) - Big slot/Red zone WR probably. Smooth movement skill guy who seems to lack burst and 2nd gear but gets open just enough by using his technique/frame/catch radius

Drew Morgan, Arkansas - Crisp route runner with ++ hands. Understands zone and how to beat press. Limited athlete but crafty.

TE -
Mason Schrek, Buffalo - Not explosive. Hands catcher, no fear of contact, quick to get YAC.

Online -
Ethan Cooper, Indiana (PA) - Pure gut reaction to the combine. Dude looks awesome moving at his size. 6020 and 322 lbs. I have almost no doubt he's worth a pick if I can see some games.

NT -
Roderick Henderson, Alabama State -
6'0 350+ lbs. Wow quickness for a man his size. Powerful, ROCKS olineman...heads consistently snap back. Penetration like a 3tech vs his competition. Short arms.

DT -
DeAngelo Brown, Louisville -
Low center of gravity, extremely active hands, ++ disengaging vs the run. Powerful. Slows down dramatically with a high number of reps.

EDGE -
Tashawn Bower, LSU
Probably gets drafted but is a guy I'd be dying to coach. Perfect build for a 34 OLB. Shorter legs, long arms, power in his hands, good bend, and looks like no one ever taught him how to use his hands except for good initial placement, pop, and extension. If he learns counters, etc...watch out.

ILB/OLB -
Tre'von Johnson, Weber State -
DYING to be coached up. Looks like the definition of "hitting like a ton of bricks". Looks like people break when he hits them. Long, smooth mover, good bend. Seems to play too under control, want to see him trust instincts a bit more. Has good bend as an edge rusher but I think I prefer his thump inside.

S-
Orion Stewart, Baylor -
Lots of range with ++ instincts. Can get over aggressive but makes plays. Lost on a crap defense. Makes plays vs the run but shines vs the pass.

Casey DeAndrade, New Hampshire
Plus instincts, good quickness, but lacks power/strength

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"
- Oscar Wilde

I demolish my bridges behind me - then there is no choice but forward.
- Fridtjof Nansen
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Quick what the heck, I'm watching the combine mock draft for the Rams

Flipper3361181March 03, 2017 06:05AM

How did guys in my mock do at the combine

Flipper336287March 07, 2017 11:43AM

Re: How did guys in my mock do at the combine

stlramz244March 07, 2017 12:42PM

Thanks

Flipper336202March 07, 2017 04:26PM