Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LaFleur Brings QB Expertise to Offensive Coordinator

February 18, 2017 07:46AM

By Myles Simmons

It’s been a whirlwind few weeks for Los Angeles’ new offensive coordinator, Matt LaFleur. From coaching Atlanta’s quarterbacks in Super Bowl LI to now studying film in his Thousand Oaks office, LaFleur is getting up to speed on everything Rams.

“There’s so much evaluation that needs to [go on], especially for myself — I know there’s other guys who have a better feel for our roster than I do right now, to be honest with you, but there’s a ton of evaluation that’s taking place as we speak,” LaFleur said Thursday, having arrived in Southern California at the beginning of the week. “I think I’ll have a better feel a week or two from now.”

LaFleur and head coach Sean McVay know each other well from their shared time in Washington from 2010-2013, when they worked under Mike and Kyle Shanahan. But that friendship is a significant part of why LaFleur elected to depart the Falcons.

“We’ve developed a pretty strong relationship. I think there’s a mutual respect for our coaching abilities,” LaFleur said. “It was just one of those deals where I was fortunate enough to work for a great organization and Dan Quinn, he allowed me the opportunity to further my career as well.”

“He’s a guy that [I was] able to develop a really close relationship with in Washington,” McVay said last week. “Detail oriented, good communicator, been around some of the most productive offenses over the last couple of years. You look at what Atlanta was able to do. A lot of the things that we do philosophically will be very similar.”

McVay and LaFleur’s shared experiences should help both in coming up with a playbook for Los Angeles’ offense. But that does necessarily mean the process will be easy.

“There’s going to be a ton of work,” LaFleur said. “As coaches, you always feel like you’re behind the eight ball. I’m confident that we’re going to carve out enough time and have a very detailed, thorough plan that’s well thought together.

Read Complete Article
[www.therams.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill745February 18, 2017 07:46AM

Re: LaFleur .....Love it.....Perfect fit IMHO.

oldschoolramfan230February 18, 2017 02:49PM