Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Practice Report 12/20: Renewing the California Rivalry

December 20, 2016 07:23PM

Myles Simmons

The Rams and 49ers are one of the NFL’s oldest and most competitive rivalries. The first matchup came Oct. 1, 1950 with the L.A. Rams defeating San Francisco 35-14 at Kezar Stadium up in the Bay Area.

After 133 regular-season games — and one playoff game — the 49ers hold a slight three-game advantage in matchup record: 67-64-3.

With Saturday being the first contest in Southern California between the two teams since the Rams’ recent relocation, this game carries plenty of weight for L.A. And that’s despite the struggles and records of both teams heading into Week 16.

“We had a little discussion about that,” Rams interim head coach John Fassel said. “I thought it was important to the players, especially the young guys, to know that the Rams and the Niners have played, I think [134] times — seventh-most played game in NFL history, as far as a rivalry.

“It’s important to the players,” Fassel continued. “I wanted them to respect the history of the rivalry and know the position they’re in, coming back here to L.A. That’s been discussed.”

Fassel said spent about a half hour studying the history of the rivalry himself before presenting it to the team — just to make sure he had all his facts straight.

“I was surprised to know how many times the game has been played, where it’s been played — at Kezar, the Coliseum, Candlestick [Park] — a lot of really cool places,” Fassel said. “So it was fun for me to, kind of, study up on those facts that I wasn’t aware of.”

According to Fassel, the players responded well to the message he set out.

“I think they were interested and pretty surprised,” Fassel said. “Hopefully respectful of what the history of the rivalry and, really, the NFL means. Whether or not that gives the guys a lift or not, it lets them know that this is important and it’s kind of cool and we’re fortunate to be able to participate in this.”

Read Complete Article
[www.therams.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill394December 20, 2016 07:23PM