Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Practice Report 12/19: Rams Considering Mannion for Backup QB

December 19, 2016 06:43PM

Myles Simmons

It’s been a while since quarterback Sean Mannion has dressed for a game. The Oregon State product was the Rams’ backup in Week 1 against the 49ers on Monday Night Football, representing only his second career appearance on the gameday roster.

That may change on Saturday — funnily enough, also against San Francisco — as Rams interim head coach John Fassel said Monday that the club is considering moving Mannion up the depth chart to No. 2 for Los Angeles’ final two games of the 2016 season.

It’s a pertinent topic, with starting quarterback Jared Goff still going through the concussion protocol. While Goff was able to participate in aspects of the Rams’ walk-thru practice and go through all of the team’s Monday meetings, Fassel said the rookie has yet to be fully cleared to play.

To this point, Case Keenum has served as the Rams’ backup signal-caller since Goff ascended to the starting role against Miami on Nov. 20.

“We’d love to get Sean some reps in the situation like last week, where something happens to Jared — whether he can’t find his helmet or his shoelace breaks — get Sean in there for a little bit of work, which would be good, to see Sean,” Fassel said following Monday’s practice. “Case has performed well when required, but it would be good for the team to get a look at Sean and see what he can do if pressed into service by necessity.”

“Obviously, that would be a great opportunity for me,” Mannion said. “I’ve honestly been preparing that way all year. I was the backup Week 1 and then have been the ‘three’ all the way to this point. But my preparation hasn’t changed.”

“Being the backup, I guess, puts you closer to getting into the game,” Mannion added. “But, like I said, all year I’ve prepared as though I’m the one playing, I’m the one starting, and the one who has to go in and win games. So that doesn’t change.”

Selected in the third round of the 2015 draft after becoming the Pac 12's all-time leading passer, Mannion said he feels he’s made plenty of progress behind the scenes during his nearly two full seasons with the Rams.

“Without getting a chance to play, maybe it doesn’t show to you guys — and you guys aren’t able to see it,” Mannion said. “But I certainly feel like I’ve been getting better and better each day and each week from last year to this year. So that’s something I feel good about, and I’m always working on my game.”

Mannion played a series during the Rams’ 31-7 loss in Cincinnati last year, finishing 6-of-7 passing for 31 yards. Other than that, in-game reps have been hard for Mannion to come by. He completed 65 percent of his passes in the 2016 preseason for 325 yards with four touchdowns and one interception. But being the third-string quarterback means being inactive every week, a situation that can be tough for any competitor.

Read Complete Article
[www.therams.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill508December 19, 2016 06:43PM