Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jared Goff's skill set is 'off the charts,' Rams quarterback coach Chris Weinke says

November 17, 2016 07:01PM
Jared Goff's skill set is 'off the charts,' Rams quarterback coach Chris Weinke says

By JACK WANG / STAFF WRITER

THOUSAND OAKS – Two months ago, Chris Weinke sat in a room with the rest of the Rams’ coaching staff. The second-year quarterbacks coach expounded on the virtues of rookie Jared Goff, pointing out his “great strides” and capacity to learn.

In a scene captured by HBO’s “Hard Knocks,” Coach Jeff Fisher then asked if Goff would be ready to back up Case Keenum for the regular-season opener. The camera cut back to Weinke, who sat in silence.

The Rams (4-5) ended up playing nine games without putting their No. 1 overall pick on the field – a wait that finally will end after the team pronounced him their starter earlier this week, in time for Sunday’s home tilt against the Dolphins. This time, Weinke sounded even more effusive.

“His skill set is off the charts,” he said of Goff. “I think it’s going to be fun to watch him grow and develop. Here’s his first opportunity.”

Weinke warned that bumps lie ahead for Goff, just as they would for any quarterback regardless of age. The NFL season rarely offers players a linear rise, and being thrown into the fire in Week 11 usually doesn’t make for a smoother path.

But even if Goff isn’t an immediate star, he at least brings more raw physical tools to the position than Keenum – who went undrafted in 2012 despite setting numerous NCAA records for Houston in 2012, and is perhaps better-suited to be a very good No. 2 quarterback.

That ability could allow the Rams to add a few wrinkles in their offense, though coaches have insisted they won’t make dramatic changes.

Read Complete Article
[www.ocregister.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill708November 17, 2016 07:01PM

As any coach would say...

JamesJM341November 17, 2016 07:18PM

you know my skills are off the charts too

stlramz245November 17, 2016 10:03PM

and I have a great personality.

Cornelius252November 18, 2016 04:55AM

Mine too...

sstrams285November 18, 2016 04:59AM

Re: Jared Goff's skill set is 'off the charts,' Rams quarterback coach Chris Weinke says

poplarbluffman277November 18, 2016 03:32AM