Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vinny: Best Offense is a good Defense?

November 08, 2016 07:39AM
[www.ocregister.com]

The chants echoed across the Coliseum on Sunday, the frustration and anger apparent as fans urged Rams coach Jeff Fisher to make the switch at quarterback.

“We want Goff. We want Goff,” their voices rose, pleading with Fisher to make the switch from Case Keenum to Jared Goff.

More than 80,000 fans had packed the Coliseum.

There was no question what they were saying.

Or who their words were directed at.

Without question, the fans were aiming their ire at Fisher.

Problem was – at least according to Fisher – he didn’t hear them.

“I honestly didn’t hear them root for Jared,” Fisher said.

Didn’t hear them?

Or just didn’t want to hear them?

Either way, Fisher isn’t budging. So don’t expect a change at quarterback until the Rams are officially eliminated from playoff contention. And considering their fourth straight loss Sunday to the Carolina Panthers sent the Rams scrambling to 3-5 on the season, that day is drawing closer.

In any event, here are some observations from another lost Sunday for the Rams.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, THAT DEFENSE
The Rams held Eli Manning and the Giants offense to one touchdown in London.

They limited the Panthers and Cam Newton to one touchdown as well.

That’s playoff-caliber defense.

If only the offense could join the party.

Until then, the margin for error is zero.

“No games are easy,” Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree said. “I feel like, I’ve said all the time, our team is built to win close games. You can see, every game that we’ve kind of lost, we’ve been there close at the end. We just haven’t found a way to finish those games, but we’re built to play close games and we’re going to have to find a way to win those close games.”

The trick now is keeping the Rams defense inspired and engaged and hope the offense finally holds up its end of the bargain.

“We have to continue to keep the defense playing at this rate, this effort, and with the production. We have to find a way to get some turnovers on defense, however, and we have to figure out a way to score some points,” Fisher said. “I’m very disappointed, but we’ll bounce back. Four consecutive in the loss column is not good, and the only way you can win four in the win column is you go out and win the next one, so that’s where we’re at. I think the team understands that. They understand where we’re at. We’re not getting the turnovers. Turnovers hurt us in London, and the one turnover today hurt us, but there were some outstanding efforts out there today and that was a good football team.”

THE RAMS ARE NO LONGER A RUNNING TEAM
The Rams came into this season insisting they are a run-first team behind Todd Gurley and an improved offensive line, with Keenum game-managing at quarterback while occasionally taking shots down field off play-action pass.

That’s what they said.

But with Gurley finding little room to work behind a line that’s looked overwhelmed at times – and against defenses that stack the line of scrimmage daring Keenum to beat them with the pass – the Rams the last two games have completely gotten away from who they are.

Two weeks after throwing the ball 53 times in a close loss to the New York Giants – and insisting afterward they aren’t built to throw that much – they dialed up 47 more throws against the Panthers.

Gurley got 15 carries against the Giants and a season-low 12 against the Panthers.

That’s a problem, especially when the offense produced just two touchdowns in the process and lost both games.

“I don’t control the play-calling – (offensive coordinator) Coach (Rob) Boras does a great job. It’s a team game, you can’t get the ball every time,” Gurley said.

Maybe, but a week after Boras insisted the Rams got away from who they are it’s hard to imagine doing the same exact thing the very next game.

Gurley is a home run hitter whose chances to take a run to the end zone increase with the amount number of touches he gets.

The Rams are essentially removing him from consideration.

“Like I said, obviously everybody wants the ball in their hands,” Gurley said, “But it’s a team game, I trust in my guys as much as they trust in me.”

THE RAMS ARE FRUSTRATED
It wasn’t so long ago the Rams were standing at 3-1 and thinking legitimately about the playoffs.

They’ve lost four straight since.

And the frustration is everywhere.

“Crushed. We’re just absolutely crushed,” offensive guard Rodger Saffold said. “Enough is enough. We know we need to put more work in on offense and have to score touchdowns. I don’t blame any one group. I don’t blame coaching. I don’t blame anything, but just collectively, we need figure it out. Our defense is out here putting up games. We need to be able to capitalize. Enough is enough. Enough with just sitting around and saying, ‘Let’s stick together.’ It’s time to just go power it in.”

Saffold is a proud man with good intent

The problem is, the Rams have been saying essentially the same thing the last four games.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Vinny: Best Offense is a good Defense?

Rams43458November 08, 2016 07:39AM

Re: Vinny: Best Offense is a good Defense?

Rams43249November 08, 2016 07:45AM

Re: Vinny: Best Offense is a good Defense?

kw13242November 08, 2016 07:46AM