Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Minor thots on a Monday

October 24, 2016 07:32AM
It's not just 3-4, it's how they got there, and where they appear to be headed.

It's not just the in-game mistakes, it's the unchanging pattern of them.

Fisher picks players and then sticks with them. I would guess that in his own mind, this is loyalty to them, and believing in himself and in them. These can be admirable qualities when your judgement is good and vindicated in the end. When you're wrong, it just looks like stubbornness and refusal to admit a mistake. That's why the Tavon crush, and why Quick is still around, and why Pead lasted as long as he did, and why Grob is still playing LOT. It has to be beyond obvious to everyone else, before it becomes obvious enough to Jeff to make a change.

This may be factoring into the Keenum/Goff situation as well. Once Jeff made a mental and verbal commitment that they could win with Keenum, he is now determined to prove that decision was correct. Some posters on here have been accused of wanting to lose just so they can be right. I've never seen any evidence of that. But it's ironic that it's the head coach who seems at times to prefer insisting that he was right, to making changes in the face of losses. Not that he wants to lose. Of course not, but he wants to win his way.

Something is wrong with this oline situation beyond lack of talent. Is the scheme just not a good fit for these guys? I don't know. It seems like Boudreau did pretty well a few years ago with a patchwork of aging and failing veterans, but can't seem to get young guys to progress.

How much longer can talented veterans like Quinn and Donald watch their careers going to waste before they become disenchanted with the situation?

Is the season really over already? If we look at past patterns, there is usually some point in a Fisher season where the team starts to look like it's finally gelling after a frustratingly slow start. They usually get back into a very tenuous, but mathematically possible situation. "If this", "if that", "then maybe" kind of stuff. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it happens again. But it never works out, because the actual odds of getting all the dominoes to fall just right are too high. It's the early season blown opportunities that always cost them in the end.

I think that those mid-season, pseudo revivals may be what suckers the owner ( and many fans, including me ) into thinking that NEXT year they will finally get it together. It's a team and Fisher quirk to play some of their best football when it's just a little too late, usually followed by some sort of late season drop again. Then the next season starts with no lessons apparently learned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2016 07:34AM by Saguaro.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Minor thots on a Monday

Saguaro543October 24, 2016 07:32AM

maybe these are minor thoughts but they are dead on

dodgerram208October 24, 2016 07:40AM

oline situation

PHDram300October 24, 2016 08:10AM