Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams notes: Cornerbacks have strong effort in controlling Giants' passing game[

October 23, 2016 01:14PM
Rams notes: Cornerbacks have strong effort in controlling Giants' passing game

By RICH HAMMOND / STAFF WRITER

LONDON – The Rams’ search for positives, in what figures to be a soul-searching bye week, likely will be exhaustive, but the team can look with pride at its improved effort at cornerback.

Sunday’s game had the potential for defensive disaster for the Rams, who had to face a talented group of Giants receivers and didn’t have top cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who was out with an ankle injury.

E.J. Gaines, Troy Hill and Lamarcus Joyner weren’t perfect, but that’s impossible. Certainly they exceeded expectations, though. Giants quarterback Eli Manning, who entered the second-most proficient quarterback in the NFL this season, finished with 196 yards on 24 completions (and 37 attempts).

Game-breaking receiver Odell Beckham Jr., who was playing through a hip injury, had only 49 yards on five catches, and no Giants receiver had more yards than Victor Cruz’s 55 (on five catches).

“We knew the game was going to be on us,” Hill said. “We had a little chip on our shoulders because, especially with me, I haven’t been playing really well. I take that personally. I had to do better for the team. I didn’t want to let them down.”

The Rams’ defense, as a whole, improved after a dreadful effort a week earlier in Detroit. The Rams were typically stout up front, as the Giants rushed for only 36 yards on 20 attempts.

Read Complete Article [www.ocregister.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams notes: Cornerbacks have strong effort in controlling Giants' passing game[

RamBill290October 23, 2016 01:14PM