Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Running QBs tend to come back down to earth

September 23, 2016 06:49AM
I know everyone is enthralled with Wentz, Prescott, and now Brisett's instant succes. But please take note that if you take the running part of their game away, things change significantly.

RG3 was on his way to the HOF his first year. Then all that running caught up to him. I doubt he's in the league in another year or so.
Tony Romo had to run around in order to be who he is. Injuries have taken a toll and made him less effective and a shadow of his younger self.
Russell Wilson has to be the luckiest running QB I've ever seen.....so far. But that luck will run out sooner than later. Notice what happened this past week when he wasn't fully healthy. And then watch his game not be quite so great (I love the guy, btw).
Even Luck made running a pretty important part of his game. He started getting nicked a lot, and now he's more reluctant. And, he's no longer the all-world dynamic QB that he was in his first couple of years (although I'd take him in a heartbeat).
Even Cam Newton has had to back off on the running, and although still a very good QB, he's no longer on the weekly highlight reels.

Just sayin'. In the end, the guys who DO wind up in the HOF are the QBs who are pocket passers and rarely run. They tend to survive longer, play more, and they know they have only one skill: throwing the ball to someone who is paid to do something with it.

Yep, mobility is always an advantage. But in our era perhaps the two best QBs have been Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. They're lucky not to stumble and fall down running on to the field through the cloud of the fog machine.

Accuracy, consistency, leadership, will to win and being a master of the offense they run is why the best are the best.

Rams need to change OCs as soon as possible, Design an offense that makes the most of Goff's abilities (and minimizes his shortcomings.....they ALL have shortcomings), is a shotgun formation based, relies on smart reads and accurate passing, pushes the ball down the field, and stay with it for the next 10 years. That guy ain't Boras. But it might be Mike Martz.

And I think LA fans would welcome a Martz reunion. Who wouldn't want the designer of the GSOT to return?
But I don't think anything like this can happen with Fisher. He has a conflicted mindset regarding the O.
Why would you hire a prolific college passer and then decide to have an offense based around power running and big WRs because they block?
And not give him dynamic WRs who have actual NFL hands and some RAC ability?
And insist on taking no risks....you know.....a checkdown offense?

Fisher and Goff are not a good match. I think I do believe recent reporting that Fisher may not have wanted to draft a QB high. I just don't think he wants to have a high flying offense. He wants one that eats up clock with long drives. Not sure Goff is the right guy to operate in that system. That sure wasn't his style in college.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Running QBs tend to come back down to earth

RockRam568September 23, 2016 06:49AM

Re: Running QBs tend to come back down to earth

SoCalRAMatic275September 23, 2016 11:00AM