Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jeff Fisher's solution for Rams: a box of TDs, sleepover in the end zone

September 22, 2016 05:55PM
By Alden Gonzalez

[www.espn.com]

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher told his defensive players on Wednesday morning that he had been scrounging around the facility lately, trying to locate some personal belongings that had been misplaced amid the chaos of the team's move.

He told them he found a very important box, and then he played what was in it.

"It was full of touchdowns," Fisher said, smiling, moments after Wednesday's practice at Cal Lutheran University. "So we watched some touchdowns today. The defense got a kick out of it."

The Rams aren't just the only team in the NFL that has yet to score a touchdown this season; they're the only team since the 2006 Buccaneers and Raiders to navigate the first two games without finding the end zone. And if they fail to put up 6 points again on Sunday -- against the current version of the Bucs at Raymond James Stadium, with kickoff set for 1:05 p.m. PT -- the Rams will join the 1976 expansion Bucs as the only teams to go three games into a season without a touchdown in the last 70 years, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Rams offensive coordinator Rob Boras was asked if he's losing sleep over all this. "What's sleep?" he said. "We all take it personal -- players and coaches. We understand that's our responsibility. That's why we're here; that's why we came back."

The Rams have had 24 drives in their first two games, and only one -- one! -- has reached the red zone. They've gone three-and-out 46 percent of the time, the second-worst rate in the NFL, and have averaged 0.4 points per drive, which ranks dead last, according to data compiled by ESPN Stats & Information.

The responsibility starts with Case Keenum, who played better in Sunday's 9-3 win over the Seattle Seahawks but still has the worst QBR (22.0) among qualifying quarterbacks. It trickles down to Todd Gurley, who is averaging 2.7 yards per attempt, 38th among the 44 qualifying running backs. And it extends to Tavon Austin, who has hauled in only 40.9 percent of his targets, the sixth-worst rate for receivers.

The Rams offense is carrying the heavy burden of its failure to score touchdowns, but in seeking solutions, coach Jeff Fisher is keeping things light.
"I wouldn't say it's a burden," Keenum said of not leading his offense into the end zone. "The burden for me is winning, and if you were to tell me right now that we're not going to score another touchdown but we'll win every game, I'd be OK with that. I like throwing touchdowns, I like touchdowns -- I love winning. I think that's quite a bit more important. But I believe we've got to score touchdowns to win in this league. They kind of go hand in hand, most of the time."

Boras felt the offense took "a step in the right direction" in Week 2, particularly throwing the ball downfield, with Keenum going from 3.7 yards per attempt in a 28-0 loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Sept. 12 to 8.0 yards per attempt six days later. But, Boras acknowledged, "We need to take bigger strides."

Fisher suggested something on his radio show Monday. "How about if I have the guys, one day this week, just bring sleeping bags into the facility, and they just have, like, a sleepover in the end zone?" Fisher said on ESPN LA 710. "... That's probably a little extreme, but it's probably not a bad idea."

The offense is last in the NFL in efficiency, just like it was last season. And so the LA Rams still haven't scored a touchdown since Christmas Eve of 1994 (a 36-yard pass from Chris Miller to Jermaine Ross, in case you're wondering).

Fisher is doing his best to keep it light.

"It has to be fun," Fisher said after Wednesday's practice. "This business has to be fun. Tough losses, you have to get them behind you and you have to have fun or you can't bounce back. As long as they're doing the work and focused and executing and doing the things we ask them, it's OK to have some fun here and there."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill605September 22, 2016 05:55PM

Instead of dumb jokes, why not coach better.

max364September 22, 2016 05:58PM

Tell O'Brien to coach the Texans better

GreatRamNTheSky388September 22, 2016 08:43PM

Re: Tell O'Brien to coach the Texans better

TonyHunter87358September 22, 2016 09:05PM

govane368September 22, 2016 11:47PM

Rampage2K-369September 23, 2016 12:09AM

RFIP245September 23, 2016 02:42AM

Osweiller is Foles with a uglier mustache.

max240September 23, 2016 03:10AM

Re: Osweiller is Foles with a uglier mustache. Attachments

Rampage2K-204September 23, 2016 07:36AM

That's what QB's are getting these days

LesBaker214September 23, 2016 07:42AM