Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Our key challenge on defense

September 08, 2016 10:02AM
Lots of views here. But, I think there's a broad consensus of what we see in our defense. People draw different conclusions. But I doubt anyone would challenge the following general assessments:

1. The DL is top level elite.
2. The LBs show flashes of big play ability but also of some flakiness and are thin.
3. The DBs seem to have weak links.

Can I get an Amen?

OK. IF # 2 and #3 are true, then Williams faces a challenge: he has to scheme and deploy in ways that empower the strength of the D--the DL--to thrive and to reduce the pressure on the DBs.

We all know that effective units sometimes have weaker links. A truly great DL can make DBs look better, can limit opponents' ability to expose the weakness of the secondary. That can and does happen.

But not always. Schemes and deployments that shift the burden from the strength of the unit to its weakest links can expose the latter and minimize the effectiveness of the former.

So, in my view, Williams has a general responsibility this season. He has got to unleash the DL while protecting the secondary.

If he does that, our D can still be very effective, even if we miss a couple of lost talents.

So, will he do it? I dunno.

I think his history gives us reason to doubt. He is known for exotic, blitz-happy schemes. These are most valuable in covering up for a DL that struggles to get pressure.

You may remember that he commented on the DL during his 1st summer. He actually spoke about never having had such a great DL to work with and how he needed to adapt his schemes to that strength.

Then, he pretty much failed to do that, at least with any consistency. The first month last season really sticks in my craw. With our DL talent, we went several games with 1 sack, and that from a blitz. To me, that is glaring testimony to a coach scheming in ways that weakened the strength of his unit.

In general, my sense of Williams defenses the last couple of years is of guys running around and leaving exposed gaps. I've said before that our D front ought to be consistently stout against the run. Yet we have so often been gashed. Generally, if you look at a play in which we give up a quick 20, it's because our front 7 is not really deploying in a sound fashion that covers all the gaps.

The other thing that drives me crazy is walking the CBs well off the ball and just conceding 5-10 yard throws. Teams just play pitch and catch and move the chains before our DL can possibly get to the QB. God, I hate that.

Or ... Williams goes blitz happy and sends half his secondary. Good QBs read this and get rid of the ball into wide open lanes before anyone--blitzer or DL--can get to them. Again, shifting the burden away from the team strength and opening up easy channels for the opposition's passing game.

I've said it before, but in this post, I want to focus on the issue. Our defense has been erratic and, ultimately, has never truly become elite in terms of actual production. And for me, the reason lies in Williams botching the RELATIONSHIP between our elite DL and our otherwise decent but not elite secondary. This season, the challenge will be even greater.

When a team has a transcendent DL, the best way to use that strength is for the DC to display some modesty in schemes. Deploy the overall unit soundly. Cover the gaps. Stuff the run. Pressure the short routes, but back that up with sound containment. Force the offense to run a lot of plays to get anywhere, to face challenging 3rd downs, and to face a relentless DL without 1.5 second passing options.

That requires humility. I personally doubt that Williams has the needed humility as a DC to maximize the impact of this defense.

However,

I did see a lot of defensive discipline in PS games 2-4. More than I expected to see. More than we've seen the last 2 years. And the results were promising: 3rd down stops and lots of DL sacks.

Well, PS is weird. I dunno if it will continue. I sort of doubt it ... but maybe Williams will come out this season having learned how to use his best unit. If he does, we're going to be good defensively.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Our key challenge on defense

RFL836September 08, 2016 10:02AM

I'm 200% with you on these points

BC Ramsfan393September 08, 2016 02:24PM

Re: I think the Rams defense will be fine

Speed_Kills470September 08, 2016 02:42PM

Re: Disagree

BigGame81412September 08, 2016 02:46PM

dzrams360September 08, 2016 05:03PM

RFL360September 09, 2016 12:59PM

Re: very few teams have depth anywhere

Speed_Kills358September 08, 2016 05:03PM

I think the key is keeping their heads

Atlantic Ram363September 08, 2016 05:32PM

Re: that and coaching

Speed_Kills316September 08, 2016 05:36PM

Q

wv ram414September 09, 2016 05:46AM

Re: Q

RFL367September 09, 2016 12:52PM

Good post but one thing

LesBaker360September 09, 2016 06:06AM

Well, that's not what I remember seeing.

RFL523September 09, 2016 12:45PM