Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

As Rams roster cuts loom, practice squad offers potential steppingstone

August 30, 2016 08:22PM

By JACK WANG / STAFF WRITER

[www.ocregister.com]

IRVINE – Jordan Lomax was the last to go.

The Rams had already trimmed more than a dozen names off their roster to open the week.

With the 75-man roster deadline approaching on Tuesday, the team had one more cut to make. It turned out to be the former Iowa safety, who joined the likes of Jordan Swindle, David Richards, and the several others already sent on their way.

“They helped us to improve,” Coach Jeff Fisher said. “So you have to show appreciation for that.”

NFL franchises must slash their active rosters again to 53 by Saturday at 1 p.m. PT, but not everyone who misses that cut will be leaving Southern California. Players who clear waivers might also land on the team’s 10-man practice squad, which could alternately be viewed as either a purgatory or a bridge to a much longer career.

A year ago, that’s where Malcolm Brown found himself. After going undrafted out of Texas, the running back landed in St. Louis as a free agent signing. He turned 17 preseason carries into 69 yards, which wasn’t enough for him to make the final cut. However, the Rams saw fit to keep him around. In the final week of the regular season, they promoted him to the active roster, filling out a depth chart that had lost star tailback Todd Gurley to a minor foot injury.

This preseason, Brown has found his rhythm. The 5-foot-11, 224-pound back been the Rams’ leading rusher through three preseason games, his 155 yards on the ground placing him just 2 yards shy of the league lead (held by the Seahawks’ Christine Michael). While a roster spot still isn’t guaranteed, he appears to be the team’s third-best runner behind Gurley and Benny Cunningham.

“It feels completely different, just because of my mindset,” Brown said. “I’m a little bit more confident this year. Last year, being a rookie, your mind’s kind of everywhere. Stressed out a little bit. Now, I’m comfortable with the system, comfortable with everybody around me.”

Others have managed even more dizzying rises. Arian Foster began his career with the Texans on the practice squad in 2009, but left Houston this offseason having rushed for 6,472 yards and 54 touchdowns. Linebacker James Harrison bounced on and off the practice squad before earning five Pro Bowl nods and two Super Bowl rings with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

While most aren’t bound for such remarkable paths, it’s not a bad living. The minimum practice squad salary is $6,900 per week, which amounts to a six-figure total if a player lasts a full season. In the meantime, other teams are also free to sign them. Practice-squad candidates for the Rams could include defensive lineman Ian Seau, who recorded one of the Rams’ nine preseason sacks but might have a tough time breaking into a deep position group; and receiver Duke Williams, who only has one catch, but has made contributions on special teams.

The safer bet for both, of course, would be to do something impressive in Thursday’s preseason game in Minnesota (5 p.m. PT, KCBS/2).

MUM’S THE WORD
Fisher didn’t divulge any details on how he plans to dish out playing time against the Vikings, a game which is the last opportunity for coaches to evaluate players before making cuts.

“I think you’re going to see everybody play just a little bit more,” Fisher said. “There may be a couple guys that don’t play. That’ll make sure you have to watch the game to see who doesn’t play.”

As to whether rookie quarterback Jared Goff will make his first preseason start?

“I don’t know yet,” he said. “You’ll have to wait and see. There’s a chance, a 50-50 chance.”

Incumbent starter Case Keenum has completed 18 of 24 passes for 188 yards, but with his spot atop the depth chart looking secure, there is little else the team needs to see from him in the preseason.

ON THE MOVE
The Rams’ summer sojourn is finally over. After relocating from St. Louis earlier this year, the franchise initially landed at Oxnard, where they held workouts and OTAs. For training camp, they moved more than 100 miles south to Irvine. After visiting the Vikings, the Rams will arrive at Cal Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks, where they have agreed to stay for at least two years.

“You can’t say enough about our partner here at UC Irvine,” Fisher said. “Great camp. Great facilities, very convenient. We really appreciate them allowing us to use the facility in an effort to get ready for the season.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill706August 30, 2016 08:22PM