Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Longacre adds depth to Ram's loaded DL...

August 17, 2016 09:26AM
Longacre is gonna be one tough cut, huh?

Longacre adds depth to Rams’ loaded defensive line
Posted: Yesterday 2:50 p.m.

ASSOCIATED PRESS Defensive end Matt Longacre, a second-year player who was signed as an undrafted free agent, had a strong first preseason game for the Rams.
By Joe Curley of the Ventura County Star

IRVINE — The top-end talent of stars Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn isn't the only reason why the defensive line is the Los Angeles Rams' strongest positional group.

The depth the team has amassed at the position extends way down the depth chart. Just look at Saturday's 28-24 preseason win over the Dallas Cowboys at the Coliseum.

While third-string quarterback Sean Mannion has received deserved credit for directing the Rams' comeback win, the performance from a teammate on the other side of the ball also earned praise nationally.

Pro Football Focus senior analyst Mike Renner labeled the Rams' defensive line the biggest winner of the first week of the preseason, due to the play of second-year defensive end Matt Longacre.

"The rich get richer," Renner wrote. "The Rams already figure to have one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. … That's why when a second-year undrafted rookie from Northwest Missouri puts on a clinic in the first half against Dallas, some eyes start to open."

PFF gave Longacre, who had three quarterback hurries and two hits, "the best pass-rushing grade and run-defense grade of any NFL edge defender in Week 1 of the preseason."

Longacre called the Coliseum "a great environment" and was pleased with the fans and the comeback.

"It kind of stunk being down early, but we fought back," Longacre said. "Everything kind of started clicking and it started to roll."

Rams defensive line coach Mike Waufle said during OTAs that Longacre was part of a good young group at his position.

"Longacre has a lot of upside," Waufle said.

Adjustments Longacre began to make on his pass-rushing technique in Oxnard are paying off during training camp at UC Irvine.

"Last year was very inconsistent," Longacre said. "This year, it's kind of coming together, starting in OTAs (by) kind of changing some things up. Just feeling more comfortable up there reading run and pass and when it is pass, being able to get a good rush off."

The 6-foot-3, 260-pound defensive end went undrafted a year ago out of Northwest Missouri State, but he found his way onto the Rams practice squad and played in the final five games of last season.

"I'm kind of approaching it the same way as I did last year," Longacre said. "I've got to produce every day and take it one day at a time,

"It was great having the experience last year, played in five games in the regular season. It was a nice steppingstone. This year, (I'm trying) to pick up last year where I left off."

He's currently listed as fourth string on the depth chart, behind Quinton Coples, who the Rams signed as a free agent from the Jets.

Longacre said being a Rams defensive lineman means competing "with the best of the best" on a daily basis.

"It's awesome," Longacre said. "I couldn't really ask to be in a better room. We've got some really good players in that room. You can pick up things on stuff that they do and try to incorporate it in your game. The best in the league are in that that room and the little things can help."

About Joe Curley
Joe Curley is a multi-media and investigative journalist for the Star. His beats include the Los Angeles Rams, college sports, soccer and lacrosse.
joe.curley@vcstar.com 805-437-0276
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Longacre adds depth to Ram's loaded DL...

Rams43743August 17, 2016 09:26AM

been a camp all pro...

Rampage2K-412August 17, 2016 10:24AM

Re: been a camp all pro...

LMU93443August 17, 2016 10:57AM