Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams rookie quarterback Jared Goff shines in scrimmage

August 07, 2016 04:45AM
By Steve Dilbeck

[www.espn.com]

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher had to catch himself. He has been so excited about the team’s return to the Coliseum Saturday, he forgot to mention the one player who clearly stood out.

The one player the Rams most need to stand out -- quarterback Jared Goff.

The Rams put a lot into drafting Goff with the No. 1 overall pick in this year’s draft. Fisher has called him a “franchise quarterback.”

And if he’s had plenty of nice moments during the first week of camp, he’s also had his expected share of miscues and interceptions.

But Saturday was easily his best day of practice yet. He looked comfortable and was consistently on target. In a two-minute drill, he smoothly drove the team down the field for a touchdown. Passes zipped or had perfect touch. He did not throw one interception.

“I can’t believe I didn’t bring up Jared to start with,” Fisher said in his post-practice media session. “I don’t know if you saw the two-minute drill, but that stuff was real nice. He was locked in, focused. He knew exactly where the play clock was, the game clock, timeouts, everything.

“He had a good day today. That’s good for him to finish up the week on a really good note. Now he can get his mind right for next week.”

The 6-foot-4 Goff wasn’t ready to make any bold proclamations, let alone claim Saturday had been his best day.

“I don’t know, I think every day I’ve been trying to improve,” Goff said. “And slowly but surely I feel like I’m getting better every day.”

Which was about as far the 21-year-old was ready to go Saturday.

“I’m starting to settle in and feel more comfortable every day,” he said. “The more comfortable I feel, the more in control I feel, the more confident I’m going to be, and the better I’m going to play. So, every day it’s just going to get better.”

Goff continues to run the second team and is listed behind returning starter Case Keenum. Fisher said Keenum will start their first exhibition game this Saturday against the Cowboys. But fans clearly have already made their choice known.

No one received more or louder cheers at the Coliseum practice than Goff. If everyone understands it is only a matter of time before Goff becomes the team’s No. 1 quarterback, the fans have anointed him now.

Goff said he didn’t really hear their outpouring Saturday. His focus was the same as it’s been since camp opened. Still, after one week, he has noticed a slight evolution in his play.

“Just the comfortability,” he said. “Is that a word? I just felt more comfortable every day and continue to gain confidence. Each day I try to take a little bit of a step, and I feel like I’ve done that.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill605August 07, 2016 04:45AM