Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ain't that the truth?

September 14, 2019 09:06AM
Which brings to mind:

Can you remember, (if it's happened), the age you were when you realized you had lost that feeling of invincibility? My first true injury occurred at the age of 33... and it wasn't horrible... a pulled hamstring.. BUT... it was my first 'big' injury and it perplexed me. HOW could that happen to ME? I was invincible.

Well that hamstring pull did NOT convince me I wasn't invincible... I healed and came back to play for years after that, without injury.

I pretty much know the age I was when I knew I was not invincible... it was my early 50's. I was simply running, to stay in shape, and injured a muscle in my calf. At first, I thought nothing of it other than, "rest for 3 days and I'll be good to go"... well....

3 days passed and it was worse. Then 2 weeks passed... no better... a month goes by and now I have to face the harsh reality that my body simply could not heal the way it used too.

I was still in very good shape... went on to make many backpacking trips, trekking faster than most 20 year olds... BUT.... things had changed... I was no longer invincible... and while before my early 50's I pretty much threw caution to the wind those days were gone.... I became cautious. Even a simple injury that in the past wouldn't have kept me down more than a few days now could lay me up for months. Didn't like admitting that to myself... but I had no choice.

Today... well, I'm old now... I not only know I'm far from invincible but I'm ok with it as well. laughing smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sydney, then and now... Attachments

JamesJM182September 10, 2019 12:58PM

Where does the time go?

Atlantic Ram117September 14, 2019 07:35AM

Doesn't it, tho?

sstrams82September 14, 2019 08:30AM

Ain't that the truth?

JamesJM170September 14, 2019 09:06AM

Ok, that's a tough question..

sstrams84September 14, 2019 09:28AM

Re: Sydney, then and now...