Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another classic B&W movie crossed off my list...

July 23, 2019 11:13AM
"My Man Godfrey". There is a colorized version... I chose B&W.

Remember HNB? Happy Noodle Boy? Many years ago he recommended I try the "Thin Man" series of movies starring William Powell and Myrna Loy.... and so I did. They became some of my all time favorite movies... lavish productions perfectly representative of the Golden Age Of Hollywood...

well, so was "My Man Godfrey".. which ALSO starred William Powell.... no Myrna, however, Carole Lombard instead. Plus a host of character actors whose faces are quite recognizable if not their names.

Great reviews.. it's a comedy. Inspired writing and acting, IMHO... and the opinion of most. I was least impressed with Carole Lombard but she's fine in the role. I haven't seen Carole in very many movies but a very robust career considering she died so young at the age of 33.

Quite brilliant in direction and what we think of as 'modern' acting and editing technique.... many of the lines are muttered in such subdued manner, immersed in a cacophony of ambient noise, and underplayed that in all likelihood you'll miss many of them on first, maybe even second viewing. (I watched it twice).

Soooo - - - - - some years ago I set one of my favorite classic movies on my high shelf so I couldn't reach it and therefore not watch it.... I wanted some time gone by. Time has gone by. And watching My Man Godfrey with William Powell reminded me that it's time to watch again "Mister Roberts". Powell is also in Mister Roberts.

In closing.. if any of you have NOT seen Mister Roberts, (Or My Man Godfrey), then shame shame shame on you. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Another classic B&W movie crossed off my list...

JamesJM87July 23, 2019 11:13AM

+1..William Powell A#1 all the way...nm

Arkansas Ram61July 23, 2019 04:21PM