Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

While I'm not a country western fan. . .

January 17, 2019 02:21PM
If anything, I really don't care for it all. . . with an exception. . . and the reason he is on my 'like' list.

When I was stationed in Germany, I was in a trucking unit. It was obvious country was the music of choice. While I was a Jose Feliciano fan. . . I was introduced to Johnny Cash. More specifically, "Folsom Prison Blues.' At the base club, it was played constantly on the Juke box. . .and I was smitten.

And even sang along after having had a few. . or quite a few

Well. ..fast forward to 1985.

I was handling the Ford promotions for an IMSA GTP race through the streets of downtown Columbus, Ohio. He was scheduled to play a concert there in conjunction with the race. As luck would have it, under unlucky circumstances, he and June Carter were staying in the same hotel as mine.

it was there that hell broke loose. . . lucky me. At 2 a.m., someone set off the fire alarm and we were all forced out of our rooms and shuffled to the lobby. So there I was, maybe ten feet away from the voice that entertained me during my stay in Germany. Replete in his signature black stage outfit and hat.

What to do. . . what to do. . . so i did it

I walked over to him and June. . . and asked for just a second of his time. And it was there that I was able to thank him for bringing some "home" to us soldiers thousands of miles away.

Very gracious man.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Spent all afternoon today......

Arkansas Ram140January 17, 2019 01:41PM

Merle one of my all time favorite C&W artists....

JamesJM93January 17, 2019 01:46PM

By the way... fate hit me square in the face yesterday...

JamesJM69January 17, 2019 02:12PM

Right on, I believe in that kinda stuff.....

Arkansas Ram88January 17, 2019 02:16PM

While I'm not a country western fan. . .

RAMbeau146January 17, 2019 02:21PM

Great story, Rambeau...

JamesJM76January 17, 2019 02:30PM

"Makes the PUB come alive"...+1........nm

Arkansas Ram69January 17, 2019 03:04PM