Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone else try DuckDuckGo yet?

February 28, 2018 08:41PM
I mentioned it a while back. What I did was set up my Firefox Browser to use DuckDuckGo as the default search engine. Then I open a 'private tab' to do finance, anything related to money actually... or shopping even if I'm not buying. The difference has been nothing short of amazing... as far as being 'tracked'. I also have AdBlocker and a few other extensions at work.

On Safari, which I use for this board and just casual browsing I have ad blockers as well, I use either Google or Bing... about 50/50... I'm constantly tracked, even with every privacy setting I can find set to stop it PLUS 3 or 4 ad blockers at work in the background.

There is no comparison.. using DuckDuckGo works so much better to stop tracking that there really is no comparison.

The problem: As I mentioned the last time I brought this up... is that DuckDuckGo is NOT the best search engine, by a long shot. However, and the reason I'm bringing it up again, is that it has improved drastically in the last few months and gets better every day. Today it is actually 'rare' that a search on DuckDuckGo isn't sufficient... but sorry Mama, if you read this, Sports is still weak, at least for the intensive searches. BUT... I can see a day...

When it will be AS good or so close you won't notice. DuckDuckGo is NOT a public company, I looked into it... can't invest... I wanted too. Google and the others must HATE them... I can search with DuckDuckGo and then go to Facebook, (which I seldom use these days), or Twitter.. or any of the sites that send you targeted ads and NONE of my DuckDuckGo shopping searches initiates targeted ads.

All this does NOT mean you're not being tracked and logged, however. It can't stop ISP's although using a VPN, which I do often, can definitely make it VERY difficult for anyone to track you.

Perhaps I'm a bit paranoid... but when I'm logging on to my financial investment accounts I'm not AT ALL comfortable NOT using a privacy tab PLUS not having Google or Bing set as my default search engine. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Anyone else try DuckDuckGo yet?

JamesJM422February 28, 2018 08:41PM