Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So I wanted to do a "For Nelson" run today.

September 12, 2017 11:50AM
I'm only a little over a month from my first half-marathon, so I'm still in LSD training mode (Long Slow Distance) so I don't get a lot of short, fast runs. After hearing the news from my wife this morning, I decided that instead of doing my slow 5-6 mile plan, I'd just hit the gravel with everything I had and see what I could do. Remembering.

While running, I thought about how TonyHunter87 (Nelson) and I sort of bonded. We were quite publicly at each others' throats over some dumb thing from years ago, but we worked it out through PM and we've been friendly ever since. Realized early that we were both true fanatics and how real fanaticalism can obscure the fact that we really are utterly in the tank for the same darn team! It was cool how after we settled down, 73Ram came in and said something like "Work it out privately" and we were able to say "yup, did that already, we're cool now!" There are 31 other teams in the NFL, so getting to talk football with a Ram fan (especially living in Cardinal territory) should be a treat, not another endurance exercise.

It is a good memory.

Well, time to brag! In the running world it isn't much, but today I went for a 5k and just just opened up that throttle and LET ER RIP! I ran it in 24:49, for a 7:59 pace. It's my best 5k since I was 15 and running Cross Country in high school. Even though at the end I was pretty wiped out and feeling sick, I was able to kick it up into high gear because WANTED that 7:xx pace and I was able to get it, just the last few seconds of the run.

I don't know exactly what heaven will be like, but last year I finally learned to love the peace and freedom of running long distances. Maybe over the mountains of the New Earth I will one day "run and not grow weary, walk and not be faint." (Isa 40:31)

Maybe you will, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 11:51AM by ArizonaRamFan.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

So I wanted to do a "For Nelson" run today.

ArizonaRamFan235September 12, 2017 11:50AM

Congrats Mike!!

sacram109September 12, 2017 02:22PM

That is so great....

JamesJM109September 12, 2017 02:43PM