Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - October 18, 2019

October 18, 2019 02:48PM

(On updates regarding RB Todd Gurley II, RB Malcolm Brown and CB Jalen Ramsey)
“(Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) is doubtful for the game, he didn’t participate today. He’s obviously going to make the trip and we’ll just continue to use all the time that we do have, but he’ll be doubtful for the game. (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) participated in a limited fashion today, we’re optimistic that he’s going to be able to go. (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) did a nice job and we’re working through figuring out exactly what that looks like, but we’re anticipating him playing as well.”

(On if Ramsey would start should he be available on Sunday)
“Those are things that we’re still working through. It’ll be good to be able to see, ‘Hey, he’s feeling good, he’s feeling healthy, looks good running around.’ In terms of exactly what that workload looks like and how he fits in to the gameplan are things that we’re working through right now.”

(On S Eric Weddle not practicing on Friday)
“It was not injury related. Just want to give him (S Eric Weddle) a rest day. He’s in good shape, he’s feeling good, so it was one of those veteran rest days we gave him.”

(On if RB Darrell Henderson Jr. would be Gurley’s backup if Brown could not play)
“He (RB Darrell Henderson Jr.) would be, and then (Rcool smiley John Kelly would be up as well. We’ll go with three backs up, so that would be the approach we’d take.”

(On what has impressed him about Ramsey since he arrived)
“He’s got a great presence about himself. I think just the way that he handles himself, you can just see he’s a really smart football player. Understands concepts, understands defensive coverage structures, things like that. He’s been playing for a while. Even though he’s a younger guy, he’s got a lot of experience in this league. You just see there’s a confidence, there’s a swagger and there’s a comfort level with just getting out there and competing with his teammates. It has been such a small sample size, but when you look at guys that just feel like, ‘Hey, these are these special-type players’, certainly looks like that’s what he is, just the way he’s carried himself and handled himself over the last couple days.”

(On how he feels Henderson Jr. has bounced back since his fumble against the 49ers)
“I think he’s good. He’s got a nice, even-keeled demeanor – he doesn’t really get too high, get too low. I don’t sense that that affected him much – I think that’s kind of an outlier type-play. We just got to focus on the ball and those are all very fixable things. If you feel like when you play in a game, if there’s things that you didn’t do at a high level that you’re just not capable of doing, to me, that’s where some of the anxiety creeps in. But, if they’re very fixable things – which those are in his case – I think there can be a confidence moving forward and, really, an excitement about your next opportunity to do right.”

(On if OL Austin Corbett and LB Kenny Young will play on Sunday)
“Those are things that we’re still working through, but I would say – more likely than not – they (OL Austin Corbett and LB Kenny Young) won’t. I would say probably not.”

(On how LB Cory Littleton has grown since he arrived in Los Angeles)
“It’s been fun to watch. Before we got here, just the contribution, where he (LB Cory Littleton) made a name for himself on special teams – even early on in that first year. Whenever he got his opportunity to play defense, you could see he makes plays. He’s just a great football player that just has a knack for making plays, being around the ball at the right time. Certain guys are like that – Cory’s been one of those players – and really, with every opportunity that he’s been given, he’s maximized it, he’s made us right on those decisions and he’s been a really productive player for us.”

(On if Littleton is quiet)
“He is quiet, he’s reserved. He’s taken everything in, he knows what’s going on, but he is a soft-spoken – keeps to himself for the most part. Don’t let that fool you with the ownership and the mastery that he on the entirety of what’s going on.”

(On the injuries being a challenge and if there is a part of him as a coach that enjoys the challenge of trying to figure everything out)
“I think so. These opportunities provide a chance for you to really see if the things that we preach, are our actions in alignment with that? It’s easy to say when you’re winning or when everything’s going good for you. But, when you do face a little bit of that adversity, I think that’s when you truly get tested. You really have a choice in how you respond, I think we’ve got the right guys. I think it’s a good testament to really if we have that strong culture that we talk about. There’s really nothing we can say, it’s just how do we go about our business day-in and day-out? How do we get guys ready to go that have to step up for some of those voids that we have? Then, how do we as coaches keep a positive mindset and mentality with an urgency as we progress looking forward to our next opportunity competing.”

(On if he knows Falcons Head Coach Dan Quinn very well and if he ever talked to him about the season after Super Bowl)
“You naturally cross paths. Then, because I had so many close friends, some that are still on that staff. Then, I’ve gotten to know (Flacons Head Coach) Dan (Quinn) kind of just through the mutual connections that we have. Really impressive person, you talk about a class act. When we played them in the playoffs a couple years ago, he calls you the next day. He kind of epitomizes a lot of the things that are right about a quality leader that stays consistent through the good, through the bad. We have talked about those types of things, in terms of how he handled it afterwards. More than anything, I just respect the consistency at which he leads. You can just see he’s a genuinely great guy. Everybody that’s worked with him speaks so highly of him. He’s a great football coach too, but I think more importantly, he’s a great person. I think that’s what really resonates and that consistency I think is why coaches, players, through the good, through the bad, they’re fighting with that guy.”

(On the narrative that the league has figured out a lot of what the team is doing and they are adjusting to it and how hard it is as the head coach to stay ahead of those adjustments)
“It’s tough. It’s why this league is so competitive. Really, it’s about us being productive game in and game out, looking at ourselves. All right as coaches, what’s our role within the framework of how we end up producing, staying up to date, giving some new, different things that maybe are designed to attack what they feel like, defensively, they’re presenting. At the end of the day, a lot of this stuff really comes down to fundamentals, techniques, the execution and being able to do that together collaboratively as a unit.”

(On if Ramsey’s arrival has had any effect on the team’s mood and if there is any different energy)
“Yeah, I think he brings a good energy. We’ve got such good guys, I think they welcome really all three of the new acquisitions with open arms. He does bring an excitement to this team. Guys are excited about playing with him and having him continue to figure out how he fits in with these guys. But, yes, I think guys are excited and they open him with welcome arms, really and Austin and Kenny as well.”

(On how it feels to go back to Atlanta under different circumstances)
“It’s good to be able to go home. I’ll see my family and things like that. Really, our focus is on playing a good football game. I’m just looking forward to the next opportunity that we get a chance to compete and that’s on Sunday against the Falcons.”

(On how important it is to have three new players and having this bonding opportunity for them by being on the road for two weeks)
“I think it comes at the right time. Because we have the bye right afterwards, to be able to get away and to continue to just focus on, ‘All right let’s build this team, let’s continue to establish what the identity is of the 2019 Rams.’ That’s things that we’re working through and I think sometimes those breaks that you can have where you kind of have a camp within the framework of a season provides a great opportunity to just kind of naturally bond with the guys, get away and solely just focus on what’s going on with our team.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky332October 18, 2019 02:48PM