Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Run Game Coordinator Aaron Kromer, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability - September 18, 2019

September 18, 2019 04:47PM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Run Game Coordinator Aaron Kromer, QB Jared Goff - Media Availability - September 18, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(On injury updates for TE Tyler Higbee and OL Austin Blythe)
“Those guys (TE Tyler Higbee and OL Austin Blythe) are making good progress. They’re going to be day-to-day. We’re obviously going to be smart with them today and they’re just getting rehab and taking care of themselves. We’ll have a decision later on in the week with them.”

(On if they will practice on Wednesday)
“They will not practice today.”

(On OL Jamil Demby and the contingency plan if Blythe cannot play on Sunday)
“He (OL Jamil Demby) did a nice job the other day. As far as who those other guys that will be asked to step up in their roles and kind of replace Blythe – we’re kind of working through that right now. With what he did the other day, I think with the confidence that he was able to gain and that, really, we were able to gain from him playing in real, live game action and making some big-time contributions to a win. We’ll continue to move forward with that if (OL) Austin (Blythe) isn’t able to go.”

(On Browns WR Odell Beckham Jr.’s performance in Cleveland’s Week 2 game on Monday)
“It’s pretty standard for him (Browns WR Odell Beckham Jr.). He’s a unique player, he can go at any time, he’s so explosive, he’s got aggressive hands, they can really move him all around – there’s no limitations. His talent is incredible, he’s an elite competitor, so he’s definitely somebody that we have got to be aware of. You can see he made the most of his touches and in an instance, he’s going 80-plus (yards) on a touchdown on a quick ‘RPO’ (run-pass option) catching it from the No. 3 (wide receiver) spot – you’re like, ‘wow.’ That’s why he’s special and that’s why he is who he is.”

(On the development of Browns QB Baker Mayfield)
“Really good competitor. Going back to even just remembering him (Browns QB Baker Mayfield) play at Oklahoma – a guy that makes people around him better. He’s a resilient competitor that has a ‘never die’ attitude. You see the talent – he’s twitchy, he can speed it up, he has the ability to create off schedule. You can just see the confidence. I even remember watching the Thursday Night game when he jumped in there (in his NFL debut) and went in playing the Jets. There’s a belief and a confidence that he instills in the people around him and it’s impressive to watch.”

(On what challenges gameplanning against Browns Head Coach Freddie Kitchens presents when there is not a lot of tape from him as a head coach)
“That’s exactly what it is. You don’t have as much inventory, but he (Browns Head Coach Freddie Kitchens) has done a great job. He called plays for a good portion of the season last year and you kind of get the chance to see what’s the overall philosophy. Really consistent with a lot of good play callers and coaches. He does a great job of putting his players in good spots and kind of fits his system to their skillsets. A lot of versatility and it’s a great challenge for us.”

(On if he likes facing an opposing head coach for the first time or prefers someone he has faced multiple times)
“It’s a tough game. This league is so competitive, so whether it’s going against someone the first time or the fourth, you have a lot of respect for everybody that’s doing this. (Browns Head) Coach (Freddie) Kitchens has done a great job – I think it says a lot about their team with the way that they were able to respond from not the way they wanted to go in Week 1. That’s a sign of true character and they did a good job the other day.”

(On if he sees similarities between where the Browns currently are in their development compared to when he arrived in Los Angeles)
“Yeah. It’s similar in terms of you get a chance to work with a No. 1 overall pick who has a lot of upside that you’re excited about. So, if you look at it that way – but this is a good football team, a lot of really good football players. Going to Cleveland – which we know will be a great atmosphere – we know is going to be a great challenge for us. We have to have a great week of preparation and make sure we’re ready to roll.”

(On if there is anything he would like to see QB Jared Goff do more of or for the first time)
“That’s hard to say. Really, each play is its own entity, we individualize each snap. It’s just consistency from the first snap to the 65th, to the 70th, whatever it is. Good decision making, playing within the timing and rhythm. There’s an element to him and you look at some of the play action throws that he was able to make in some early down and distances, guys in his face, thought that that was excellent where he keeps his eyes down the field. He doesn’t need a clean platform to be able to get through because he has such a natural ability to get his hips through and things like that. I thought he did a lot of good things. It’s hard to say, I think it’s just being consistent snap in and snap out. That’s going to be the case with every quarterback.”

(On what challenges Browns DE Myles Garrett presents)
“A lot. They do a good job, he moves around a little bit. You see the production that he’s had and the length, the strength, he can beat you in a variety of ways and he’s productive, really on all three downs. He’s a great football player that you have to account for. And then they’ve got (Browns DE) Olivier Vernon on the other side, which is a great challenge in and of itself. You can feel the impact (Saints DE) Cam Jordan had on the game and what a great player he is and these are two guys that are very similar.”

(On if he saw if T Rob Havenstein was having any trouble with Saints DE Cameron Jordan)
“It was two great competitive players going at it. Cam is the type of player, he’s going to make a couple of his plays. I know (T) Rob (Havenstein), with the standards that he has for himself, expects him to be perfect. We still have a lot of confidence in what he can do, feel great about our right tackle position with him, holding that spot down. That was just two great players going back and forth having some good against one another.”

(On if how he would handle a situation of one of his players as demanding a trade)
“The first thing is, you want to talk to the individual and get an understanding of where they’re coming from. Try to understand their perspective and make sure that you listen. Then, be able to give your perspective and try to come to a conclusion on what’s best for the team and for that individual. It always goes back to the communication. Easier said than done, but I think from a foundational standpoint, it’s just trying to have an understanding and really an empathy for each other. Then let’s come to a conclusion and once we make a decision, decision is final and we move forward accordingly.”

(On what is different about Coach Kitchens offense and if there is anything that stands out with his play calling abilities)
“You see the creativity. Like most coordinators that are really good or most guys that are calling play, I think he does a great job mixing it up. He’ll change up some different personnel groupings. He’s not afraid to try some different things that he feels like fit for his players. You see some of those things show up. He’s done a really nice job since he’s taken over as the play caller. Another good night the other night.”

Run Game Coordinator Aaron Kromer
(On how he thinks the offensive line has played through the first-two games)
“As a young group, this group really has great intent and great purpose in what they are doing. They’re developing and coming within their own, developing the line that they want to be. Early in the season, like it is after two games, we are still growing, and we feel good about it. In the direction that we’re going, from game one to game two our ability to block the running game, and really pick that up I thought. In game one as we picked it up in the second half, we really grew throughout the game. We were having a hard time early running the ball, then in the second half, if you ask me, the running game really changed what we were doing as a team. It was that group up front that figured out how to work together in live action and had a lot of success in that second half. I thought it carried over in the run game to this past game. Then in pass protection, everything is a work in progress, it’s early in the season, we have the upmost confidence in this group, they are great guys. Not only the five that have been starting, but the backup young guys that are in the room right now. There is a lot of guys that, I haven’t been around a group that was this young, and that every eyeball, every word you say, they’re intentionally listening. When you have something like that, you can grow. Our goal is to be at our peak at the end of the season.”

(On if there have been any surprises seeing the starting five offensive linemen play together during games versus joint practices and scrimmages settings)
“You never know how a guy is going to respond when he’s a young player on the field, whether he is going to be nervous or how he is going to respond to that actual live game. It can be preseason, it can be whatever, but when it actually counts, it counts. The calmness of (C) Brian Allen, the way he can go out there and command people to listen just by his knowledge and his confidence. (T) Joe Noteboom, as a guy that was always a tackle his whole life, and then he goes in and plays left guard in live action. Just to see him blossom over the last couple games and how his confidence has built stronger and stronger, I think it’s going to bode well as time goes.”

(On how he would evaluate the play of his tackles so far)
“You evaluate every play individually, but these guys are two of the top tackles in the league. Sometimes things don’t always work out at football. I say that every day. There’s pluses, there’s minuses. You make some blocks, you don’t make some blocks. The key is that they continue to be aggressive. As long as they are aggressive in pass protection and in the run game. When I say that, not trying not to get beat, but trying to win every block. As long as they do that, they’re going to win more than they lose.”

(On if it’s hard to get enough carries for all three running backs in a normal game)
“I think to that fact, we have three good running backs that are active, and they all have the ability to gain yards. We’ve seen (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley) do it, we’ve seen (Rcool smiley Malcom (Brown) dot it, and (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson), just as a young guy and two guys in front of him getting reps. It’s hard to get him in, but at the same time we’re going to get him in. The longer the season goes the more I’m sure he’s going to play.”

(On OL Jamil Demby stepping in for Austin Blythe in the Saints game)
“You think about that. Here’s a left tackle from University of Maine and he goes in at right guard. You always ask me, ‘Should you move these guys around? Should they be playing all these different spots?’ There’s a perfect example of why that should happen. He played left tackle his entire career in college and he moved around and he played all the different spots. He even moved to center during this preseason. That experience really helped him play well in this game.”

Rams QB Jared Goff
(On how the team will prepare for a loud Cleveland crowd)
“Everything we do every week to prepare for an away game. I’m sure it will be loud, we’ve played in a lot of loud environments and we will be ready. We do a lot of stuff in practice to get ready for it.”

(On if he has any thoughts on starting QB injuries in the NFL)
“I feel for them. I don’t want to think about it too often because you always hope for the best, but you never know. I feel for those guys, a lot of those guys are my friends and obviously peers and I hope for the best.”

(On being able to withstand avoid injuries)
“It’s a lot of different factors. I think it’s a lot of luck and a lot of hard work as well as just kind of just being in the right spot and understanding how to move in different situations. Then, there is freak stuff that happens all the time. I did my shoulder in college. Crazy stuff happens, it’s a physical game and you always hope for the best.”

(On how well his wide receiver corps is playing as a group and how it helps him)
“They’re playing great. They do a great job. I think I spoke about this after the game, the way they push each other and the way they hold each other to such a high standard, are so unselfish and so team oriented. It makes my job so much easier. I don’t have to think about, ‘This guy hasn’t touched the ball in a while, I need to make sure I get him the ball’. It’s really freeing to be able to just throw it to whoever is open or whoever we try to get open. They understand that and do a great job with it.”

(On when he seen the catch from WR Brandin Cooks on tape did if it surprised him)
“It’s great catch. We’ve seen it a bunch of times out here in practice. We’ve worked on stuff like that a lot, and actually, throughout the last week worked on it a lot. Showed up in practice, showed up in the game and makes you feel good. (WR) Brandin (Cooks) is a great player and it was a hell of a catch.”

(On Brandin Cooks kicking it into an extra gear to make the 57-yard catch against the Saints)
“Yeah he did. I think those elite down-the-field ball catchers have that extra gear. You see it around the league, guys that have been doing it forever have that ability to run at, what looks like 100 percent, but really, it’s about 95. Then when they have to on those last 10 yards, they kick it into that final gear and he tends to do that quite a bit.”

(On pledging to donate $1,000 per touchdown to California strong, what motivated him to make the decision and why the cause is important to him)
“It’s something I was able to get involved with last year with both the fires and the shooting in November. An organization I’ve really enjoyed and really feels good to be able to give back through them. Partnering with Genesis to do that and give a 1,000 (dollars) per touchdown. I need to throw a few more touchdowns and get my numbers up to donate that money. It always feels good to give back and hopefully can help change some lives.”

(On his confidence going up against the Browns defense and DE Myles Garrett)
“Always confident in them (the offensive line), they’re a great group and have been for quite a few years now. (Browns DE) Myles (Garrett) is obviously a great player, as well as their whole D-line. Our guys are up for the challenge, they look forward to it and I look forward to it.”

(On what adjustments were made for him to get the ball out faster in the Saints game)
“Honestly, didn’t change much. I was conscious that (OL Jamil) Demby was playing, in really in his first live action, and was conscious of that. He really did a great job, honestly, I didn’t really have to do much. You’re referring to a couple of times we did get a little bit of pressure and had to get rid of it, but for the most part, he did a great job.”

(On the last time the Browns played on Sunday Night Football in2008 and where he was)
“September 2008? I was 14 (Years old). I was probably playing freshmen football at Marin Catholic High School.”

(On Browns QB Baker Mayfield being 13 during this time)
“Yeah, we’re the same class in high school I believe. It will be fun, excited to see those guys.”

(On being more successful scoring in the second half than the first the first two games)
“I don’t have anything, why or what, obviously, we are making good adjustments. I think we tend to get so use to scoring so many points and everyone around the league is used to us scoring so many points. We scored 30 and 27 and a lot of teams can’t say that right now. We’re happy what we’ve done offensively. Obviously, we’d like to get off to a better start for sure. We always want to start fast, but our adjustments have been great and we finish games with 27 and 30 and both Ws. Ultimately, that’s the most important thing.”

(On if teams showing anything early in the game they have not seen before or not expecting)
“Yes and no. A lot of it is always their identity, but there is always are wrinkles. Every year there is a flavor of the year that tends to come out, I can’t say what that is now because it’s to early. I’m sure we will see something this week we aren’t expecting, that tends to happen a few times every week.”

(On if the touchdown at the goal line to Cooks gives him the confidence to be able to throw in a tight space)
“It was really a run play and we had the ability to throw on it. I didn’t want to hand it off anymore for any more touchdowns, so I decided to throw it. I’m kidding (laughs). The look presented itself to give Brandin a shot there. Little bit tighter than we may have anticipated, but he made a great catch and I was able to fit it in there. It does definitely give you that confidence. Not only myself, but in Brandin making his catches.”

(On what challenges the Browns pose to the team)
“Obviously, their defensive line is one of the top in the league and they’ve done a great job upfront. Last year I believe they were in the top two or three in turnovers, so they have a nose for the ball. I think in the secondary they are young, fast and athletic and can do a lot of things. Obviously, their linebackers are great. It’s going to be a challenge for us. It will be a fun road challenge that we will be ready for.”

(On Browns WR Odell Beckham)
“(Browns WR) Odell (Beckham) is a great player. He’s done it at a high level for a long time, a guy that our defense is going to have to be aware of. I won’t be watching to much film on Odell this week, but I’m sure he’s getting ready and I know our defense will be ready for him.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky387September 18, 2019 04:47PM