Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I doubt Rams look to the outside for ILB help.

August 20, 2019 01:38PM
Kiser (or whoever) was going to be, at most, a 2 down player. And in this league a 2nd and 7 is usually a passing down. So if he Rams can keep 1st down to 3 yards or less, we're only going to be using 2 true ILBs a small percentage of the time.

So what the Rams need is a run stuffing ILB; not a coverage ILB.

I don't know why Matthews couldn't play ILB on 1st down and move outside on all other downs (he plays the run really tough) then employing Rapp as a hybrid Safety/ILB. . And it looks like we might be absolutely loaded at OLB with some young guys.

Our 3 down ILB is Littleton because he's OK in run but really shines in pass coverage.

I just don't see the Rams letting one of these inexpensive young guys go that seemingly have such upside, for a vet at the end of his career to plug a hole on 1st downs.

Admittedly, the problem could come when playing a team like Seattle who is so committed to the run. But even then, who better to play it than Matthews? But then, why not employ somebody like Tanzel Smart who is pretty darn quick and fast for a guy his size as an ILB. Or show a 5 man line with 1 ILB.

I think there's many solutions without signing an aging vet and losing a longer term player.

Besides: with just an average D the Rams are simply going to score more points on offense than some of the other teams are capable of scoring.

So, I doubt the Rams are that worried. But, as McVay says..... never say never. If some guy comes available at ILB that they really covet, sure they might make a move.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams not looking at FA’s to replace Micah Kiser...

Rams43333August 20, 2019 12:55PM

I doubt Rams look to the outside for ILB help.

RockRam145August 20, 2019 01:38PM