Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Each NFL team’s sleeper heading into NFL season...

July 13, 2019 05:34AM
[bleacherreport.com]

NFL Team's Biggest Sleeper Heading into Training Camps

Maurice Moton

Los Angeles Rams: DL Greg Gaines

Greg Gaines (No. 91)Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images
The Los Angeles Rams may line up a Day 3 rookie sleeper next to four-time All-Pro Aaron Donald. The front office didn't re-sign Ndamukong Suh, who inked a one-year pact with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but general manager Les Snead added some bulk to the defensive line in April.

The Rams selected Greg Gaines in the fourth round of this year's draft; he's a 6'1", 312-pound defensive lineman who can eat up blocks and force his way into the backfield. He logged 9.5 sacks between his sophomore and senior seasons at Washington.

PerClarence Dennisof the Rams' official website, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips pointed out another quality that should help Gaines flourish in the pros—his football IQ:

"I think [Gaines] obviously works hard at what he does, I think he's a grinder, we said that, and I think he'll be stronger in pads, where you can see his power and stuff. No pads and no contact, it's hard to utilize that. I think once he gets the pads on, it'll help him. He's done a good job so far. He's a smart player and we always say smart players get better. So he's one of those guys."

Gaines could carve out a starting role alongside Donald and Michael Brockers on the interior. He's not going to rack up the impact statistics—sacks and tackles—at a high volume, but the former Husky should provide a boost to the run defense and clear pass-rush lanes for Donald.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Each NFL team’s sleeper heading into NFL season...

Rams43289July 13, 2019 05:34AM

Re: Each NFL team’s sleeper heading into NFL season...

den-the-coach145July 13, 2019 06:06AM