Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My thoughts on how the race for HFA will shake out

November 08, 2018 07:00AM
Two more games until the break, then after the bye, we have our 5 game stretch run to close out the regular season.

We should be either 9-2 or 10-1 at the break, simply based on expected results.

To me, the most important thing is to come out of the break healthy and fresh for those last 5 games. Also getting Talib back is huge, especially for the Eagles game.

I feel very good about the game in Detroit coming off our bye, and pretty good about the game in Chicago especially with Talib back. It’s the game against Philadelphia that worries me a bit. They may be hitting their stride late in the season with Wentz healthier and desperate for wins. We are gonna need Talib for that one for sure. The last 2 games against AZ and Niners will be wins unless McVay doesn’t care.

Tom Landry used to love playing Thanksgiving games back in the 70's. This was way before bye weeks existed. Landry said having the extra days off between Thanksgiving and their last 5 games gave them an edge and allowed him to prepare better for the stretch run.

I think the Rams have that same edge with their bye week coming during Thanksgiving weekend. As a result they have a good shot at winning their last 5 games, and can build momentum towards the playoffs.

In contrast to this, the Saints have had their bye and must play their last 8 games without a break. They have 3 tough division games, 2 against Carolina and 1 against an improving Falcons team. Those teams know each other very well and are usually very physical. Expect the Saints to incur some wounds from them. They also have games against the Steelers and Eagles that will further stress the Saints. And all this without a bye and late in the season when the bumps and bruises take a bigger toll.

In summary, I believe the Rams have a distinct schedule edge over the Saints. It will be extremely difficult for them to stay even with the Rams record. Odds are we finish at least a game ahead of them and secure HFA.

At this point the only person I’ve heard in the media who has said anything remotely indicating the Rams have this distinct advantage is Mike Lombardi. He recognized the how difficult it will be for the Saints to stay even with the Rams and expects the Rams to secure HFA. And let’s face it Lombardi is no Rams homer.

~ max ~
“The consciousness of good intentions disdains ambiguity.” - Alexander Hamilton
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

SI Revised Predictions -Rams are back under the radar

PeoriaRa658November 08, 2018 05:36AM

Re: these media guys love a front runner

Speed_Kills306November 08, 2018 05:46AM

Re: these media guys love a front runner

Classicalwit198November 09, 2018 05:03PM

My thoughts on how the race for HFA will shake out

max226November 08, 2018 07:00AM

agree about their bye

LMU93401November 08, 2018 07:39AM

Re: good post but one quibble

Speed_Kills162November 08, 2018 08:09AM

max157November 08, 2018 09:43AM

RamsFanSinceLA172November 08, 2018 10:23AM

Want the playoffs? Win in November

leafnose118November 10, 2018 05:08AM

Just shows you how myopic and fickle the media is...

Rampage2K-186November 08, 2018 07:49AM

Re: I gotta find that article lol nm

Speed_Kills133November 08, 2018 07:58AM

btw, Rams still favorites to win SB

Rampage2K-169November 08, 2018 07:57AM

Re: found it... Now this was just last week lol!!!!

Speed_Kills172November 08, 2018 08:02AM

Rams are 8 and 1 they are not flying under the radar

SUretHing126November 09, 2018 05:24PM