Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: AD plays a DT...a position that is sooo much harder

April 15, 2018 09:36AM
SunTzu_vs_Camus
to do what he's done than a DE/EDGE rusher. imo

I mean, a DT that does what AD does...is so so rare as to be unheard of...and he's just starting.
AD routinely is able to tackle the QB/RB at the mesh point of a hand-off...
I swear, he'll tip one away/intercept a hand-off one of these days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AD is the best DT I have EVER seen in my lifetime. imo

And Brooks, who ought to know better, gets it wrong.

BROOKS: From a statistical standpoint, the argument doesn't necessarily hold up when looking at the sack numbers from the 2017 season. The top 23 sack producers were listed as defensive ends/outside linebackers before Geno Atkins appears on the list with 9.0 sacks as a defensive tackle. (Donald is listed as a 3-4 defensive end, but plays inside in the Rams' nickel rush package.)

Brooks's article sets up a debate about which is better to have, an outside rusher or an inside rusher. Most of the league personnel he talks to either outright favor the inside rusher, or say that Donald makes them re-think their former view. Then it's time to add up numbers, and, Brooks lists Donald as an OUTSIDE guy.

Obviously Donald does not line up at DE (well sometimes but that's not his base position). He lines up at DT. So no it's not true that 23 rushers appear on the list of 2017 sack producers before you get an inside rusher. Donald is tied for 11th. And he's (obviously, as in duh) an inside rusher.

Now that I am done correcting Bucky Brooks, there's also this. Of the 35 players who got 8 or more sacks last year, only 3 were DTs (Donald, Atkins, Malik Jackson). That;s more or less consistent with what you see every year. What that tells me is this. It's just *FAR* easier to find an outside rusher than it is to find a generational, transcendent talent like Donald who is an inside rusher.

So if you have a Donald it is not that hard to add an outside rusher to the mix and then you have a tough pair.

It's next to impossible to do that the other way around. You can feature an outside rusher, but pairing him with an inside rusher of that caliber is pretty much impossible.

So if you had to choose between a top outside rusher and Donald, you take Donald. And then, add an outside rusher. eye rolling smiley It's extremely unlikely you can do it the other way around.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

An outstanding Donald-Mack Debate post by BobCarl...

Rams43521April 15, 2018 08:14AM

Say, maybe there’s something to this “who signs first” theory?

Rams43225April 15, 2018 08:17AM

that's by Bucky Brooks, taken from nfl.com

zn245April 15, 2018 08:18AM

Re: that's by Bucky Brooks, taken from nfl.com

Rams43207April 15, 2018 08:49AM

zn272April 15, 2018 09:06AM

Rams43191April 15, 2018 09:10AM

AD plays a DT...a position that is sooo much harder

SunTzu_vs_Camus231April 15, 2018 08:27AM

Re: AD plays a DT...a position that is sooo much harder

zn189April 15, 2018 09:36AM

this is true...and from my own experience, not even comparable.....

SunTzu_vs_Camus157April 15, 2018 09:52AM

Re: Yes it is supply & demand that answers the question

merlin161April 15, 2018 09:34PM

agreed, Merlin.....

SunTzu_vs_Camus119April 16, 2018 04:46AM