Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The rental talk is killing me

April 04, 2018 04:28PM
All this talk about losing on the Watkins rental seems to missing some huge points.

Yeah we gave up a 2, but we will get back a 3 so moved down a round plus for one year of Sammy, but were there other gains?

1. Would we have been able to implement the offense without him? Did this allow the establishment of our offense going forward?
2. How much of Goff's development and (to an even more important point) confidence growth came from have Sammy on the roster?
3. Without Sammy are we a playoff team?
4. I f we are not a playoff team do we get Talib and Suh and Shields etc?

Yes we spent a 2nd rounder, but what would the opportunity costs have been if we did not have Watkins? It is impossible to quantify since he was on the team, but I have a feeling we still came out ahead with that "rental".

Now there is concern about the Cooks trade and how it is an automatic lose if it becomes a "rental". Here we go again. Obviously it is more costly going from 1 to 3 instead of 2 to 3, but even if he leaves after a year it is impossible to say if it was a total lose or not. Watkins for a year I would argue was a net win even with him walking.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The rental talk is killing me

headslapper399April 04, 2018 04:28PM

Hey...warning...

jemach165April 04, 2018 04:31PM

Good point.

PHDram148April 04, 2018 04:57PM

Re: The rental talk is killing me

NorCalRamFan152April 04, 2018 05:10PM

1st rd pick for one year is giving away draft picks

Speedball89134April 04, 2018 05:17PM

it was a pivotal year I do not think you continue those trades